Backwind Smiths clock

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by harold bain, Jan 9, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. harold bain

harold bain Forums Administrator
    Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    self-employed in the clock business
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    here is an unusual Smiths clock I recently serviced. It is wound and set from the back of the clock, 8 day run time, with floating balance movement. Made late 1950's or 1960's.

Attached Files:

2. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Oshawa, Ontario.
    Country Flag:
    Harold, during the '50s and '60s, the English were known to be a little backwards: Not a lot of people know that. I jolly well hope that there are no repercussions to that.

3. harold bain

Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If it hasn't happened over the last 60 years, probably won't now, Stewey.

4. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Oshawa, Ontario.
    Country Flag:
    Actually, I was born in England and lived there until the late '50s, so I do hope the people across the pond realize I was being a wee jocular. Anyway, that's a nice looking clock. It must be a little inconvenient to have to twist it around to wind it every 8 days or so.

5. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Interesting clock, Harold. I think you're right about the time frame. Glanville and Wolmuth's Clockmaking in England and Wales in the Twentieth Century shows what I think is the same movement on page 197, fig. 5.31, where it is described as the F6 floating balance striking movement. They say on page 195 that Smiths started "to replace the short pendulum with the floating balance escapement, which they made to British Patent 735471 under licence from Blesch and Hettich of Germany." They show an ad from October 1956, but, alas, your clock is not shown, though there are some with similar features.

Any writing of interest on the movement?

6. harold bain

Donor NAWCC Member

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Steven, I have seen them with a note that they had permission from Hettich to use the floating balance, but nothing like that on this one.

7. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #7 jmclaugh, Jan 10, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Steven has identified the movement which was available in front or rear wind so presumably there were some English who were forwards in those days. ;)

Further details of the F6 movement which was in production from c 1956-69 can be found on pages 222/3 of the book. The original type 1 floating balance licensed from Hettich was superceded by a type 2 which is said to ease regulation, the difference appears to be the base of the escapement and the addition of a red marker on the adjuster. Ano source indicates the type 2 was introduced from around 1960 and was developed by Smiths.

8. stewey

stewey Registered User

Dec 20, 2012
    Oshawa, Ontario.
    Country Flag:
  9. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    That was my first thought too. Maybe that's why the movement type did not continue for long. It helps that it's a floating balance, at least.

10. THTanner

THTanner Registered User
    Donor NAWCC Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Carson City, Nevada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The only back winds I have worked on are 400 day and a few bedside alarms like Seth Thomas

11. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I've seen a few small Hermle movements that were rear wind. They were 130 series, if my memory is correct. I have never seen one in the catalogues or seller list though. So, they may be obsolete?
    Willie X

12. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    While we're on the more general subject of rear-wind movements, have a look at posts 126 and 129 in this thread, A couple of New Havens with rear-wind movements and long coiled suspension springs instead of the usual type of suspension spring.

Also, this Welch clock, the Chalet, which had a kind of tic-tac escapement. in the 2d eition of Tran's Welch book (arlingtonbooks.com), it's on page 78.

13. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    There were tensd of thousands of carriage clocks made in France for the English market, all rear wind rear set. It isn't seen as anything unusual for a mantel clock here.

14. jmclaugh

jmclaugh Registered User

Jun 1, 2006
    Devon
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    You also see lots of mantel clocks with French drum movements which are rear wound and set, the common factor is they have platform escapements.

15. novicetimekeeper

novicetimekeeper Registered User
    Donor

Jul 26, 2015
    retired and on my second career
    Dorset
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes I was thinking that, it won't work for a pendulum as you wouldn't want to disturb it, that's why 18th century bracket clocks had turntables fitted so they would still run (works for verge, anchor may be a bit more fussy)

Not a problem for a platform which will work anyway up while you pick it up and wind it.

16. Steven Thornberry

NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Country Flag:
    The ones I linked to are pendulum movements that can be picked up and wound.