Separate names with a comma.
Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by scottmiami, Apr 28, 2017.
Decided this was to be my next victim:
Found this on the back of the dial, thought it was cute:
It has interesting pallets. The one is a deadbeat
while the other is a recoil. 1/2 deadbeat.
You don't see that combination that much.
I suspect the person that repaired it had to undo
damage by the father.
I'm not really sure how much is original to it. The EW clearly is not. As a matter of fact it actually fell off the arbor when cleaning it last night. Will have to do a bit of digging to find out how things are supposed to be.
No doubt on the father / son. Liked their sense of humor though
Someone should find Tom and send this post to him.
Wonder if he ever expected it to be seen?
When I am repairing something I record my thoughts at the moment.
Found a forgotten note about Cathy I had written when replacing a capacitor my vacuum tube stereo system, 4-12-1979.
Re: Someone should find Tom and send this post to him.
I should start doing that. I forget everything I actually considered covering up the names, but figured they were written with a good sense of humor I'd leave them in.
Tinker, you have a great eye sir!
I have cleaned the movement & last night was starting to fit the verge to test. And I saw this:
So I took a look at Tran's New haven Book (from arlingtonbooks.com):
Sure enough, the EW had been mounted backwards. It appears that someone mounted it backwards, then tried to bend the pallet to make it work, and snap!
You should have told us you intended to change the pallets. We would
have warned you not to try to bend the pallets without annealing
them first. They are usually quite brittle.
I suspect the clock was intended to have a recoil so the escapement wheel
It would have probably run the way it was with the half each.
Thank you Tinker, but I can't claim credit for this bodge. I was just surmising what the previous repair person had done, and how it got that way. However, if I had considered your initial comment a bit more, I should have realized something was amiss & may have found this before reassembling.