Bachmaier & Klemmer Cuckoo Clock

dmg1969

Mar 3, 2021
Country
Region
This is another clock I inherited when my father passed away. It is a Bachmaier & Klemmer that my grandparents brought over from Germany. Not pictured are the antlers, pendulum and pine cone weights I took off for transport. Just wondering a few things. I'm assuming it is post WWII based on the Made In Germany - US Zone marking on the back.

1. Does the movement look to be original?
2. Did B&K make their own movements or just brand them?
3. Did B&K make their cases or use those made by others?
4. If not them, any idea who made this exact case design and when?

Thanks in advance.

Dave

20210509_111454.jpg 20210509_111557.jpg 20210509_122428.jpg 20210509_123020.jpg 20210509_122528.jpg 20210509_122949.jpg 20210509_123540.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
Bachmaier and Klemmer were retailers / wholesalers and it appears that they were wholesaling clocks until the late 1950s or so. They are still in business today, but not in a clock related industry.

Feinmechanik aus Bayern | Bachmaier & Klemmer GmbH (bachmaier-klemmer.com)

They may have made the cabinets, but I am not sure. You most likely will never know what firm designed and manufactured the case. Perhaps someone can identify the movement maker.

And, as you stated, "Made in Germany, U.S. Zone" indicates a manufacturing date between Post-WWII up until the early to mid 1950s.

Is there any reason you feel the movement might not be original to the case?

Regards.

Last edited:

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
It's a Baduf movement and not a replacement. There's not so many definite answers in the world of cuckoo's. :) Willie.X

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
It's a Baduf movement and not a replacement. There's not so many definite answers in the world of cuckoo's. :) Willie.X
+1 to Willie's assessment. My experience is that these are not very durable movements, and the later ones had way too much plastic in them, which seems to crumble with age, particularly the ratchet mechanisms in the chain wheels. Hope this is early enough to avoid those evils.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Yes, some had plactic click wheels! I only know of one that is still in service. These movements were also small. I have a photo of one (8-Day) that was in a 40" cuckoo. Here is a photo, that's the movement up to the left of the dial.
Willie X
20191002_122602.jpg

dmg1969

Mar 3, 2021
Country
Region
new2clocks, no reason. I just wanted to be sure because I saw another thread with a similar clock and it turned out to be a replacement movement. Thanks all for the information!

Dave

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Yes, some had plactic click wheels! I only know of one that is still in service. These movements were also small. I have a photo of one (8-Day) that was in a 40" cuckoo. Here is a photo, that's the movement up to the left of the dial.
Willie X
View attachment 653654
That's hilarious, Willie - I'm glad you told us where to look for the movement. It's so small I never would have found it otherwise... that clock is a big honker, isn't it? The Little Movement that Could - "I think I can, I think I can." I have a Baduf with the plastic click wheels; I inherited it from my grandfather and it's one of the clocks that got me going in this whole clock repair madness. I treat it with great respect when I wind it, and I have to say that the wheels may be fragile but they certainly are the smoothest operating of any cuckoo I've ever wound.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
S,
I work on one that is bigger than that one. The one I just posted is the second biggest of all my cuckoo customers.
Take care, Willie X

dmg1969

Mar 3, 2021
Country
Region
OK, so here are a few more questions I came up with. I noticed in my online research that the vast majorty of the hunter cuckoo clocks (including the B&K) have the rabbit on the left and the pheasant on the right. I have only come across a few that have the rabbit on the right as mine does.

I am posting a pic below from an eBay listing. It appears to be the exact same case as mine (the case anyway) with the rabbit on the right. Is there any significance to the rabbit being on the right? The picture from eBay (again...not my clock) also ties in to my next question. Why, when they appear to be the exact same case, is the one on eBay more colorful and the one I inherited has just one color?

Below is a side of mine (left) and the one from eBay (right).

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I am posting a pic below from an eBay listing.
Hopefully, the ebay auction is closed.

We are not allowed to link to or post pictures from open or future auctions.

Is there any significance to the rabbit being on the right?
I doubt there is any significance.

he one on eBay more colorfu
The ebay clock appears to be newer than your clock.

My rule of thumb is the more color in a cuckoo, the newer. Not fact, but observation.

Regards.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
"exact same case" would be most unusual for a cuckoo.

So, will the earth stop turning if the carvings are switched? Ha

Willie X

JimmyOz

Feb 21, 2008
Gold Coast Qld
Country
Region
I noticed in my online research that the vast majorty of the hunter cuckoo clocks (including the B&K) have the rabbit on the left and the pheasant on the right. I have only come across a few that have the rabbit on the right as mine does.
Maybe the hunter shot the rabbit 1st? :D

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Maybe the hunter shot the rabbit 1st? :D
I have a lot of cuckoo clocks. I don't have any that have dead animals on them.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I have removed the pictures from post #9. They can only be used with permission from the owner. You can link to the auction when it is completed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UltraTitan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller