• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

"B" and "E" balances

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
What were the materials used in the first and second "e" balances (992e, 950e)?

I found discussion of the two types of Elinvar balances in terms of shape (holey and un-holey) but nothing on the material.

The patent on solid balances which has been posted here seems to apply to the "B" type balance.

There has been a long and sometimes heated discussion on the "B" balances and the alloy trademark associated with them, but so far nothing on whether it was different from the earlier "e" types and whether the two "e' types used the same alloy(s).

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Golden Circle
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Jon, I know you know this, but there is no such thing as an Elinvar balance. There are balances that were used with Elinvar and Elinvar Extra hairsprings.

If you really trusted the names, you would expect an Invar balance on both of them. For competitive and marketing reasons, I think that Waltham,Elgin and Hamilton each had a low coefficient of expansion alloy that they claimed worked best.

I recall seeing a reference to a Hamilton contract with the military that required an Elgin balance.

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
To clarify: I meant balances used with Elinvar, the "e" type and those used with super Elinvar the "B" type. I recall reading somewhere that Elinvar was used with invar balances but these are usually cut at 90 degrees from the arms. I have no idea why they did this.

However, this thread is for solid uncut balances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Reward Rolex President18K
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-