Awed by fusee chain !

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by Britannicus, Dec 16, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Britannicus

Britannicus Registered User

Apr 26, 2016
    IT consultant
    Derby UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I know we have all seen a fusee chain before, but I just took a moment to record this one against a mm scale and a human hair - this is from an 1867 English lever and I'm always dumbfounded at the perfection of these things - can anyone point me in the direction of a paper on how these were made ? -

I believe that Cradely Heath in the Midlands UK was a centre for production - but how this was done n the days of candle light and hand tools I have just no idea ! Just absolutely gobsmacked to see this so perfect after 5 generations of use.

Sun Dec 16 14-25-40.jpg

2. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Keith R... likes this.
  3. Britannicus

Apr 26, 2016
    IT consultant
    Derby UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sadly on looking at it more closely the cone end of the chain seems to be lacking its hook. Wondering if I can manufacture an alternative - would this solder on ?

Sun Dec 16 15-00-13.jpg

4. Omexa

Omexa Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 28, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Darwin, Australia
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, you would be better to make the Hook and rivet it on. I think that solder would end up with Disaster. It is a pretty rough looking Chain; they are sold on eBay. Regards Ray

Keith R... likes this.
  5. Britannicus

Apr 26, 2016
    IT consultant
    Derby UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #5 Britannicus, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    This is really helping - I'm still finding my way around to be honest - I've never attempted a fusee before - seen plenty of examples but this is my first "hands on" - really appreciate the advice - anywhere I can find information on how I could rivet a hook on - doesn't appear to be any kind of hole at the end missing the hook can't see how i can drill it for a rivet - any advice ?

Having looked on ebay - I saw one for £10 wit both hooks - looks decent value so will order one - but still interested in repairing this if I can

Sun Dec 16 15-56-13.jpg

6. PatH

PatH National Program Chair
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Dec 5, 2014
    Female
    Texas
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #6 PatH, Dec 16, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    Hi - there has been some discussion about various fusee repair methods recently in this thread that might be helpful. It also includes some very enlightening information about fusee chains, their manufacture, etc. as well as links to other fusee repair discussions. Looks to me like it's definitely not a repair to be taken lightly. Like Ray, I'd probably be looking for a replacement - or more likely asking someone else about a replacement. That's probably the reason the few fusee movements I have are still sitting in a movement tray, admired for their beauty and innovation!
    Other PW - Fusee chain repair

7. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Britannicus,

The broken end you have is the centre link; to fit a new hook you need to punch out that rivet and leave the two outer links, which the hook fits between. The other thing you must do before attempting any repairs, is to make sure that the remaining part of the chain is actually long enough to reach the barrel when it's fully wound, with at least 1/4 turn extra, otherwise you risk breaking the chain again, because the fusee stop mechanism doesn't activate if the chain is too short. Have a read of the thread which Pat linked to.

Ray's right, soldering is no good here!

Regards,

Graham

8. SKennedy

SKennedy Registered User

Jan 5, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Hi, your chain there has its fusee end hook but not the barrel end, which has an extra pointed finger.
    If you're looking for a complete replacement then you need to make sure it is the correct thickness to fit the groove in the fusee and the correct length - your broken one may be missing more than just the hook. Also it is possible in a watch where clearances are tight, that a chain with links that are too wide will get stuck between the barrel and the lower lower potence, or perhaps the first turn of the chain in the fusee groove will rub the barrel. They were made in so many sizes that it would be best to measure what you have before buying another and getting an idea of the dimensions from the seller.

9. Britannicus

Apr 26, 2016
    IT consultant
    Derby UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks for the advice - looks like I've got some work cut out for me !

10. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Britannicus,

A broken chain is probably the most common fault found with fusee movements, so well worth getting to grips with repairing them. Scrapped movements are often a good source, but do pay attention to Seth's cautions about choosing one with the right dimensions.

Regards,

Graham

11. DaveyG

DaveyG Registered User

Mar 21, 2005
    Male
    Retired military aircraft engineer
    North Wales, UK
    Country Flag:
    The Black Country would be your destination Britannicus, if you wanted an anchor chain (anchor and chain for the Titanic forged there) or smaller 'general purpose' chain, but the main centre for fusee chains appears to have been Christchurch in Dorset. There were other centres but many were made in Dorset, mostly by women and children in the poorhouses. A very informative work, if you can find one, is 'The Chainmakers' by Allen White. This wee booklet was first published in 1967 but republished in 2000 by The Christchurch Local History Society.