Auto night shutoff installation on Hermle 451 movement

bob174

Apr 15, 2021
Country
Hi all. I have ordered the auto night silencing kit for a Hermle 451 movement. I was wondering if anyone might have a diagram or photos of where the parts for this kit install. I have a new movement that has the post for the kit already installed. I saw a thread that showed some of the parts on another movement, but was hoping someone may have specific information on the 451. This is a link to the kit. Night Silence (Auto) Mechanisms
Thanks in advance for the help.

Rockin Ronnie

NAWCC Member
Nov 18, 2012
Greenfield, Nova Scotia
antiquevintageclock.com
Country
Region
Hi all. I have ordered the auto night silencing kit for a Hermle 451 movement. I was wondering if anyone might have a diagram or photos of where the parts for this kit install. I have a new movement that has the post for the kit already installed. I saw a thread that showed some of the parts on another movement, but was hoping someone may have specific information on the 451. This is a link to the kit. Night Silence (Auto) Mechanisms
Thanks in advance for the help.
I assume the auto shut-off trips mechanically. I am asking because my Ridgeway grandfather clock is coming to the end of the movement's life.

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Hi. It’s quite straightforward to install but my only concern is , are you fitting the night silence feature on a new hermle (or newish), with the stalk fitted? And more importantly, has the stalk been threaded? Not all of the new hermle movements that are supplied without night silence have a threaded stalk.
Good luck.

bob174

Apr 15, 2021
Country
Hi. It’s quite straightforward to install but my only concern is , are you fitting the night silence feature on a new hermle (or newish), with the stalk fitted? And more importantly, has the stalk been threaded? Not all of the new hermle movements that are supplied without night silence have a threaded stalk.
Good luck.
Thanks for the response New65. It's a brand new Hermle 451 movement. It has the threaded stalk. Does the kit include instructions/diagram for the installation?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I didn't know of such a thing (kit) but would be interested in how it all works out. Willie X

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Bob, I’m not sure if instructions are supplied with the kits . However I can send you a few pictures on how to fit the silencing feature. It’s more straightforward than you think. Trickiest part is adjusting it . Normally they are set to silence from 21:45 (that being the last chime) and to restart at 07:00. I think the kits are about 8 Euros. Thanks

bob174

Apr 15, 2021
Country
Bob, I’m not sure if instructions are supplied with the kits . However I can send you a few pictures on how to fit the silencing feature. It’s more straightforward than you think. Trickiest part is adjusting it . Normally they are set to silence from 21:45 (that being the last chime) and to restart at 07:00. I think the kits are about 8 Euros. Thanks
Some pictures would be great. Examining the movement yesterday, I believe that the post is interfering with the moon dial gearing. Is there any kind of a fix for that other than to remove the post or disable the moon dial? I think I would rather have the auto night shutoff than a functioning moon dial.

NEW65

Nov 17, 2010
United Kingdom
Country
Region
Bob, I was going to mention about the moon dial. If the gears on the moon dial are on the left side (as viewed from the rear of dial) then it won’t be possible to have both features. The more modern hermle dials have the moon wheels on the right side , so night silence can be included.
As you say you could just have the moon dial for show only but you would have to remove the wheels off the rear of dial.
I’ll send some pictures of the silencing device. You will need a modified chime lift as well so I presume that will be included in the night silence kit.
Cheers Bob :)

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
It sure would be easier to just get used to the chiming at night. ;)

bob174

Apr 15, 2021
Country
Bob, I was going to mention about the moon dial. If the gears on the moon dial are on the left side (as viewed from the rear of dial) then it won’t be possible to have both features. The more modern hermle dials have the moon wheels on the right side , so night silence can be included.
As you say you could just have the moon dial for show only but you would have to remove the wheels off the rear of dial.
I’ll send some pictures of the silencing device. You will need a modified chime lift as well so I presume that will be included in the night silence kit.
Cheers Bob :)
Thanks so much for the help and information and insight into the moon dial-the clock was built in '89 by my father and it does indeed have the moon dial gears on the left. Checking online I see dials with the gears on the right to accommodate, I presume, the ANSO feature. I may replace the clock face with a newer model and have my cake and eat it too.

Last edited:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I'm working on 47 years :) Although my wife does not share my enthusiasm for things that tick, she tolerates 6 or 7 running in the house continually. One chimes and one strikes. They don't keep her awake (any more) :)

bob174

Apr 15, 2021
Country
I'm working on 47 years :) Although my wife does not share my enthusiasm for things that tick, she tolerates 6 or 7 running in the house continually. One chimes and one strikes. They don't keep her awake (any more) :)
Well, you have a longer tenure than I do at 35 years. She has been a light sleeper the entire time.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
I guess the bottom line is: "If momma ain't happy, ain't no one gonna be happy!" :)

Reactions: bob174

bob174

Apr 15, 2021
Country
New65 - would you happen to have those pics for showing the installation? I have received the kit yesterday. Attached a pic for reference.

Auto Night Shutoff.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Costin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Online Structure and Operation by Tom McIntyre