Austin Steele Tall Clock

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by John Teeter, Apr 4, 2011.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. John Teeter

John Teeter Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Jan 31, 2001
    I have a wood movement tall clock with the dial signed "Austin Steele". The movement is a standard 30 hour Leavenworth. I have found that Austin Steele purchased movements from Mark Leavenworth at various times.
    Has anyone seen another Austin Steel dial or label?

Attached Files:

2. rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 26, 2009
    Country Flag:
    I have not seen another.

Couldn't you just imagine that would be the name of some detective from a 1930's radio drama.."Austin Steele, Private Eye" or something like that?

Just have to comment. What a FABULOUS folk art dial (looks like the first pic is post-cleaning and some judicious inpainting/restoration).

Howzabowt pics of the whole clock?

RM

3. John Teeter

John Teeter Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Golden Circle

Jan 31, 2001
    I had Kathi Edwards clean it up for me. It did not have a case so I am using one that I had.
    What is nice is that Mark Leavenworth was in Waterbury and the dial is also a Waterbury style, but maybe unique. I did find that an Austin Steele owned a woolen mill in Waterbury. I imagine that he was trying to get into the clock business which was growing at the time.

4. Peter A. Nunes

Peter A. Nunes Moderator
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Mar 3, 2006
    Male
    Restorer of antique clocks.
    Rhode Island
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 Peter A. Nunes, Apr 4, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2011

John, I think your Austin Steele dial is mounted to a William Leavenworth movement, not Mark. Mark used two upper dial mounting studs, William only one. In both cases, they were threaded into the upper stiffener, then pinned inside the front plate. Good, well lit photos of the movement would be helpful to illustrate this obscure point.

This is the only example I have ever seen.