Aurora Watch Co Grade 4 OF Jewel Count????

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Just wondering if someone knows if the Aurora Watch Company made any watches with 13 Jewels, most of theirs in the 18 sizes were 7,11, 15. I have one of theirs with 13 Jewels that falls in a run of Grade 4's. To my knowledge the Grade 4's were only 11 Jewel watches. So is it possible that this is not a Grade 4 at all, but actually some other Grade, I have not seen a 13 Jewel watch from them before:???:

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Just wondering if someone knows if the Aurora Watch Company made any watches with 13 Jewels, most of theirs in the 18 sizes were 7,11, 15. I have one of theirs with 13 Jewels that falls in a run of Grade 4's. To my knowledge the Grade 4's were only 11 Jewel watches. So is it possible that this is not a Grade 4 at all, but actually some other Grade, I have not seen a 13 Jewel watch from them before:???:
Bila,

Could you post a picture or provide other details?

I'm aware of only one other verified 18s 13 jewel Aurora and it has some other unusual characteristics.

Greg

P. S. There are lots of 13j 6s Aurora mvts.

Reactions: Bila

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
I'll try and get a photo up today Greg, from the run of serials 44,001-44,100 jeweled on the top plate with what looks like composite true settings, and on the dial side on the escape and pallet, factory job. not marked as 13 jewels on the plates but as 11 Jewels, has nickel plates, it is stripped apart at present for a clean and oil so the prefect time to take photos:)

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
I'm a little suspicious of the jeweling in the pillar plate being original, but it's difficult to tell without the piece in hand.

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
I was initially as well Greg, this was due to the circular marks on the inner side of the pillar plate, so I decided to pull apart another two nickel movements I have here that are 11 Jewel only (from serial block 40,6xx), they have similar circular marks as this 13 Jewel. So I do not think it is from a stump on a jeweling press, Also why if you are going to go to the trouble of doing the escape and pallet why not the 3rd & 4th wheel and make it a 15 Jewel. Also I had a good look at the jeweling on the escape & pallet on the dial side, looks factory rubbed-in correct, the setting bezel/edge flange is perfect not rippled as you see when they have been lifted and then re-rubbed back in. It would be interesting to see more from that 100 run of serials?

Edit: Decide to pull a few 15 Jewel watches apart to check how they have been done, these are also similar including the dial side Factory tool marks. Then went back to check the dial side on the 13 Jewel, identical tool marks and no signs of closing marks or additional after-market tool marks/work? All this checked with 20x magnification. Do you have any examples laying around from that serial block Greg or does anyone else?

Last edited:

Bila

Jan 22, 2010
www.ozwatchstore.com
Country
Thanks for your thoughts on this Greg, I agree that it is an odd piece, I shall put her away for awhile and see if I can find another from this run to inspect. Probably trying for the impossible to get another from that specific 100 serial block but you never know:)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
objectsnthemirror
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff