Aurora Higher Grades

Robert J. Moore

Aug 28, 2013
I only just came by my latest high Grade 8 wheel and flower damaskeening pattern Aurora recently. The only damaskeening pattern that I'm seeking now is what I call the Aurora Grade 8 checkerboard and bar pattern and if I find an example I'll be done. This particular one seems somewhat difficult to come by. So far I've got 2 - Grade 10s in the checkerboard and snowflake pattern, 2 - Grade 8s in the small checkerboard pattern and 2 - Grade 8s in the wheel and flower pattern. All hunter cased.
In the past I feel that Aurora watches have been dealt a bad hand as far as their quality. At least the higher grades (7, 8, 9, and 10) were the equal to their more numerous competitors for the time period. I freely admit my bias as 3 generations of my family were born and raised in Aurora and at one time I lived within 12 blocks of the original factory site on the east side of town.
I'll post pics of all in the near future. Thanks.

Reactions: PatH and musicguy

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Can't wait to see some of your Auroras. They made a good variety of high quality movements. But since they were a relatively small maker and only lasted about 9 years their better quality mvts can be hard to locate. Also, many many Auroras are known to have been used in RR service, e. g. on the Burlington Route in 1889/1890. Part of the bad rap they get is from a "throw away" comment made by Crossman in the 1880s that Aurora made mostly low and medium grades. What people today don't realize is that in the 1880s almost every maker (Waltham, Elgin, Illinois) made mostly low and medium grades (numerically that is).

Robert J. Moore

Aug 28, 2013
I've got the first of the pics done, just got to figure out how to post them. My latest Grade 8 flower and wheel variant is a private label one that is close and sentimental to my heart from a jeweler originally located in Newark.Ohio. My family vacationed in that area during the mid 1980s. Greg, I covet your Grade 8 variant in the checkerboard pattern with sidebars. It is the only one I'm missing and I might be willing to trade a Grade 10 for it.

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Super nice Auroras. Thanks for posting the pics.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chas99
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Rockford's early high grade movements by Greg Frauenhoff