Aurora discovery

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by Greg Frauenhoff, Jun 8, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Check it out in the NAWCC Events forum:
    Talk about the upcoming National Meeting
    Preregistration is now closed.
    Visit the site for our New Member Walk In Deal.
  1. Greg Frauenhoff

Greg Frauenhoff Registered User
    NAWCC Fellow NAWCC Member

Aug 25, 2000
    I've been collecting, researching and generally paying attention to Aurora watches for over 30 years, so I was pleasantly surprised when a grade unknown to me was recently observed. Details and pics to follow in the next day or so.

PatH, Rick Hufnagel and musicguy like this.
  2. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    A new grade? You gotta back that up! ---Cort

3. Greg Frauenhoff

Aug 25, 2000
    Here's a pic of the first 15 jewel, nickel, adjusted key wind Aurora mvt that I've ever seen. Whether Aurora gave it a separate grade number or if they considered it just an "improved" grade 7-KW is unknown. But it is neat and a first for me. It would be cool to see others. (Aurora's unadjusted 15j nickel key winders are grades 7-KW and 22-KW (the later grade is a bit of a guess on my part)).

P1040845.JPG img853.jpg

4. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Love it!

I was wondering if this one was the particular one you were talking about. I followed the auction and just didn't have deep enough pockets.

What a great watch, glad to see it found a good home! I was afraid I'd see a double sunk aurora dial come up for auction soon.... You know how people are

Amazing after all this time of people researching many different companies, new things still pop up often!

5. 4thdimension

4thdimension Registered User

Oct 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    Terrific! Looking it up (in your book) I found no watches in the immediate proximaty to this number. So it seems as though it may be the only one found of a short run? Finding another would back that up. Congrats on the great find.-Cort

6. Greg Frauenhoff

Aug 25, 2000
    M
    My pockets aren't very deep. I'll just have to sell off something else to cover the cost (which was pretty cheap, if you ask me).

7. Rick Hufnagel

Rick Hufnagel Just Rick!
    NAWCC Member Donor

Oct 25, 2018
    Male
    Plumber
    Pittsburgh pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I agree with your outlook on price, I just couldn't swing it. It went to the right person, anyways!

I'll find my keywind Aurora eventually!