Aurora 18s, 15j.

Rick Hufnagel

Just Rick!
NAWCC Member
Oct 25, 2018
Pittsburgh pa
Country
Region
Cool! The fifth pinion design is always interesting. Yours is not a private label like the thread here, but it's a grade 6. It has that awesome Johnson's regulator, which was the first one Aurora used. I cant seem to find much info on that regulator.

The second patent regulator Aurora used (Hurds Patent regulator) was filed July 21st 1886 and granted August 30, 1887. So from my limited understanding of Aurora, since your grade 6 has the earlier regulator that would tentatively put your watch somewhere in 1885 or 86. (Please correct me if I'm way off).

Thanks for sharing.

Old rookie

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2021
Country
Cool! The fifth pinion design is always interesting. Yours is not a private label like the thread here, but it's a grade 6. It has that awesome Johnson's regulator, which was the first one Aurora used. I cant seem to find much info on that regulator.

The second patent regulator Aurora used (Hurds Patent regulator) was filed July 21st 1886 and granted August 30, 1887. So from my limited understanding of Aurora, since your grade 6 has the earlier regulator that would tentatively put your watch somewhere in 1885 or 86. (Please correct me if I'm way off).

Thanks for sharing.
You're quite right about this watch appearing in the wrong thread. I asked the moderator to move it to "most recent additions to your collection."
Can't comment on the dating as I'm waiting for a copy of Greg Frauenhff's booklet from the NAWACC library but I believe your estimate is correct. Just a few years prior to Aurora morphing into Hamilton.

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
. I asked the moderator to move it to "most recent additions to your collection."
It's a nice watch that deserves it's own thread.

Rob

Greg Frauenhoff

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Super nice Aurora. A date of 1885-86 is most likely. Railroad grade for its time. Incidentally, nearby #60975 was used in RR service on the Burlington Route in 1889/90.

Regarding Johnson's regulator, the only information I ever discovered on it was a minor mention in a period Aurora newspaper article wherein it was noted that Aurora was switching from it to Hurd's new regulator. No patent has ever turned up for it.

Old rookie

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2021
Country
Being something of a ham-handed clutz I am stumped by how to open the back of this watch for a photo. The seller was kind enough to allow me to use one of his. I can use some guidance from you experts. :)

luvsthetick

Mar 31, 2010
Georgia
Country
Region
From the pictures I think the center section lifts out of the rear half of the case once the front is open.
Lift at the pendant.

Reactions: Old rookie

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Regarding Johnson's regulator, the only information I ever discovered on it was a minor mention in a period Aurora newspaper article wherein it was noted that Aurora was switching from it to Hurd's new regulator. No patent has ever turned up for it.
Might it be this one?

Patent Images (uspto.gov)

Old rookie

NAWCC Member
Feb 6, 2021
Country
Rick, it is exactly as you described it. It is nice, finally, to contribute something to this forum rather than inundating you veterans with questions. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kawasemi
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
NAWCC Forums Rules by Steven Thornberry