• Member Voting Now through June 6. Check Your Email for a Link to the Online Ballot. The Ballot Contains Links to Each Proposed Amendment to Bylaws and Articles of Incorporation.

Audemars Freres Repair Advice

stuntman047

New User
Jan 19, 2022
Country
Region
New member here, long time lover of watches. I inherited an Audemars Freres pocket watch (serial number 275628) from my wife's great grandmother. The watch is missing a few hands and crystal dome. Movement functions well. I'm wondering how much repair might cost, and the best way to go about it.

I could go to a local repair shop, potentially get replacement parts (non-authentic), and have it functional.

Or, I could send it through the Florida service center to Switzerland for assessment and proper repair.

Has anyone done the second option, and what was your experience? Is it worth it? I'm assuming it would be $1,000+.
20220119_112851.jpg 20220119_144911.jpg 20220119_142936.jpg

Last edited:

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
Audermar Freres has been gone a long time so there is no dealer service.. How much you get repaired determines the cost.

Hand replacement is easy and would be well under $100 for just that. The inner crystal is harder since it is in inner crystal. These are special and not some many are around but many repair people have them.

The dial was once very nice looks awful; but it may be as simple as discolored varnish or it may require a full restoration to look nice. Collectors differ and some prefer the dial as it is.

This is not a top end watch and is not a highly sought collectable. The repair is are not likely to increase its value by as much as they are likely to cost.

The people I know who do this work are solidly booked so it will take over year just to get it started.

If you want to use it have it look good and pass it on, it is worth doing.

I would argue against sending it to Switzerland. Reliable International shipment is expensive and Swiss watch labor is very very expensive.

You can find US watch restoration people by searching in the business directory at the top of this page.

I know a few of them and can recommend them. The others I just do not know.

Last edited:

stuntman047

New User
Jan 19, 2022
Country
Region
Audermar Freres has been gone a long time so there is no dealer service.. How much you get repaired determines the cost.

Hand replacement is easy and would be well under $100 for just that. The inner crystal is harder since it is in inner crystal. These are special and not some many are around but many repair people have them.

The dial was once very nice looks awful; but it may be as simple as discolored varnish or it may require a full restoration to look nice. Collectors differ and some prefer the dial as it is.

This is not a top end watch and is not a highly sought collectable. The repair is are not likely to increase its value by as much as they are likely to cost.

The people I know who do this work are solidly booked so it will take over year just to get it started.

If you want to use it have it look good and pass it on, it is worth doing.

I would argue against sending it to Switzerland. Reliable International shipment is expensive and Swiss watch labor is very very expensive.

You can find US watch restoration people by searching in the business directory at the top of this page.

I know a few of them and can recommend them. The others I just do not know.
Thank you for your insight. I'll look for a local restoration/repair shop around my area that has experience with Swiss pocket watches. I'll also look through the restoration recommendations in the business directory.

stuntman047

New User
Jan 19, 2022
Country
Region
Welcome to the forum.
I think this is one of their later pieces.
As it happens there has recently been another thread about this company which I found very informative; see :

Paul

PS - With reference to your allusion to a "Florida Service Centre" - there is absolutely no connection with Audemars-Piguet
Thank you for the link to the other thread. There is a lot of information to glean there. I hope to learn more about the history of the company and this watch.

From what I understand, it was handed down from my wife's great grandmother. Her family lived in Prague, Czechoslovakia and once WWI started, she was sent on a boat (along with their possessions) to the US. Somewhere along the way the watch was damaged, but has been handed down through the family. I want to get it restored so that I can continue to hand it down.

The "Florida Service Centre" was recommended by the Audemars-Piguet Boutique in Atlanta. After speaking with them, I gathered that they would handle the insured international shipping to Audemars-Piguet in Switzerland where it would be assessed for service, and a quote for restoration would be provided. In light of your comment, I will avoid going that route.

Thank you again.

-Tom

Dr. Jon

NAWCC Member
Dec 14, 2001
New Hampshire
Country
Region
I have visited the Audemars Piguet factory and its watch restoration shop. They are superb but very expensive. The rate, when I was there, was 400 Euros per hour. They do especially fine work on Audemars Piguet watches. They have a large stock of old parts, for their watches. They do not use them in repairs, but as templates to fashion new parts. They are the go-to choice for an Audemars Piguet watch, which yours is not, nor is it of the level of quality of the antique Audemars Piguet watches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JeszkaGeri91
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-