harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Re: auction purchaces

Nice finds, Ken. I have a very similar Cincinnati time recorder, same short pendulum movement.

Ken Knox

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Brooklyn, Iowa
Visit site
Region

Thanks Harold. That is a well built clock. My Webster mainspring winder isnt big enough to fit over the winding arbors so properly servicing the movement will have to wait till I figure out another method.

Ken

Anteater

Dec 21, 2008
Frankfort, IL USA
Country
Region

That Long Case is a beauty. My grandfather had a similar clock when I was a child - very wide case that makes the clock appear to be shorter than it is. Any idea on the history?

Cheers, Ant.

Ken Knox

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Brooklyn, Iowa
Visit site
Region

I have no history on the long case clock. Yes the case makes the clock look much shorter than it is. It is 8 feet 3 inches tall. With the hood removed I was lucky that it fit in the back of my Jeep grand cherokee along with my other purchaces. I had several onlookers while I was loading it. The movement hadnt been serviced in years so that was the first thing I did. It now keeps perfect time.

Ken

uncletom

Feb 23, 2006
Country
Region
looks like a pretty nice portico clock as well must have been a good auction,Tom

Burkhard Rasch

NAWCC Member
Jun 1, 2007
Twistringen
Country
Region
The portico is marvelous,mine is more humble than that one with the ornament in front.And they have best quality mvmts.Congrats!!
Burkhard

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Thanks Harold. That is a well built clock. My Webster mainspring winder isnt big enough to fit over the winding arbors so properly servicing the movement will have to wait till I figure out another method.

Ken
Ken, when working in these clocks, I wind it up, tie off the springs with wire, then remove the anchor and let it slowly unwind into the wire. Just have to be careful that both sides are equally unwound. These clocks are a neat change from the time and strike movements. They are definately well built to withstand factory life.

Ken Knox

NAWCC Member
Feb 1, 2007
Brooklyn, Iowa
Visit site
Region

Ken, when working in these clocks, I wind it up, tie off the springs with wire, then remove the anchor and let it slowly unwind into the wire. Just have to be careful that both sides are equally unwound. These clocks are a neat change from the time and strike movements. They are definately well built to withstand factory life.
Thanks for the Tip Harold. One question though....in servicing the spring. How do you get it recoiled and secured again for instalation?

looks like a pretty nice portico clock as well must have been a good auction,Tom
I purchaced these clocks at the semi anual Tom Harris clock auction in Marshalltown, Iowa. They always have interesting clocks. Just going to the preview is a treat in itself.

Ken

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Ken, I made a 1/2 inch chuck fit into the chuck on my Webster (squared off the end of it), so I can unwind like any other loop end spring. Just have to be very careful, these springs have a lot more power than the common 8 day springs found in most clocks.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment