• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Attleboro keyhole weight question

ChimeTime

NAWCC Member
May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
I have an elderly Hatch-style Attenborough keyhole clock. It has an unmarked movement with recoil escapement. The time-only clock is not totally original. I'm wondering if the 6lb 3oz weight is an excessive weight for this movement.

InsideKeyhole.jpg

bruce linde

NAWCC Member
Donor
Nov 13, 2011
oakland, ca.
clockhappy.com
Country
Region
there's one way to find out.... try a lighter weight and see what happens. :)

i would certainly expect a more rectangular / squared-edges weight than what's currently there.

i think the real answer would depend on the individual movement and it's condition. i've got two 'identical' high-end gilbert movements... one is running on 4 lbs, and the other wants almost twice that. i may need to go through them both again but really did think i checked everything and had things as i wanted.

p.s.: can you please post a photo of two of the full clock?

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
I would say no, that sounds about right and looks good. I'm assuming you have good clearance between the backboard and pendulum bob. The cords don't look so good but that may be an optical delusion ... Willie X

ChimeTime

NAWCC Member
May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
The frayed cord was the first thing that got replaced. Good clearance all around the weight. I found the rear of the pendulum to ever so lightly scrub the 2 wooden strips you can see placed over the weight gallery. It's these small fit errors that make me wonder how much has been swapped or modified over the years. However, the clock keeps good time when it has all the proper clearances.

I'll try some smaller weights and see what happens.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Looking at all those empty holes on the sides of the weight well make me think that it may have had a large thin board that covered much of the well. Many similar clocks have an enclosed, or mostly enclosed weight pocket. They also often have a larger flatter saddle shaped weight.

Maybe someone has a photo?

I tend to leave well enough alone but it's always nice to know how the story went at the start.

Good luck, Willie X

Purely a guess, but it could have had about 7 horizontal slats. If so, it looks like someone left you one of them for a pattern ...

Last edited:

ChimeTime

NAWCC Member
May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
I tend to leave well enough alone too, but due to the scrubbing, this clock would run great in the shop and stop when mounted in the den.

There is a cover for the weight gallery, it was simply removed for that photo.

Thanks to everyone for the help.

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I have an elderly Hatch-style Attenborough keyhole clock. It has an unmarked movement with recoil escapement. The time-only clock is not totally original. I'm wondering if the 6lb 3oz weight is an excessive weight for this movement.

View attachment 680296
Do you mean “Attleboro”, the city in Massachusetts?

The holes in the rail you see were left by a baffle. In some clocks, it just covers the lower part. In others, it covered the length of the entire weight channel. I suspect that was once the situation here. See the same thing in other weight driven wall clocks like banjos & regulators. May have been a thin piece of wood or tin. Attached to it at the bottom would have been a pendulum tie down in order secure it when the clock is moved. Not unusual for these to go missing.

Not much depth in that case. Not unusual to need to make sure the pendulum doesn’t rub the channel or the front when hanging the clock by carefully adjusting the angle of the clock with the wall.

RM

ChimeTime

NAWCC Member
May 4, 2021
NE Georgia
Country
Region
Do you mean “Attleboro”, the city in Massachusetts?
Yes. Apologies to those from the Commonwealth. As is said, "Spell Check is my worst enema."

More photos as requested by Bruce...
Attleboro1.jpg Attleboro2.jpg Attleboro3.jpg Attleboro5.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jabberwalky
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent