• The Bulletins and Marts are again available online. The network connectivity problem has been fixed. Thank you all very much for your patience.

Attention new members, please read this.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region
Newcomers to the message board clock repair forum, please read these guidelines to help us better help you with your clock repair questions

1. Location of poster. Can be added to profile before posting.

2. Level of tooling available..

3. Close up pictures of the problem area. More than one and different angles under good lighting.

4. A basic understanding of clock parts terminology. See this thread:

5. Level of experience..none to X number of repairs.

6. Don't hesitate to question advice or techniques offered if unclear..

Last edited by a moderator:

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Re: Better advice

In a perfect world, moe :) Most of the people who inquire here have little tooling and nearly no clue to terminology of parts, and zilch for experience. It's always helpful to have pictures, and most can supply them.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

In a perfect world, moe :) Most of the people who inquire here have little tooling and nearly no clue to terminology of parts, and zilch for experience. It's always helpful to have pictures, and most can supply them.

I think knowing the extent of their limitations will enable us to provide better advice..If they don't know what the widget is really called how can we advise how to repair. And advice that requires a lathe is wasted if the OP doesn't have one or a suitable sub..

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region

Moe I think the requestor would get better advice, and quicker, if they did provide those basic details up front. Often the first number of posts in a thread will just be a bunch of back and forth trying to understand the things that you mention. It sure couldn't hurt.

shimmystep

Mar 5, 2012
Cambridge, UK
Country
Region

Perhaps if a template were offered somehow for new posters to structure their first post. The template might include what Moe suggests. The poster could be made aware of it at as part of the process of their registration on the site. A template for the other thread titles might also be helpful.

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region

Oh Moe if you could add to your list that people fill out their location so that we can determine if they are close perhaps we can help them in person. or send them something.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Moe I think the requestor would get better advice, and quicker, if they did provide those basic details up front. Often the first number of posts in a thread will just be a bunch of back and forth trying to understand the things that you mention. It sure couldn't hurt.

That's mainly what prompted me to start this thread..A lot of posts are WAG's since there are too many unknowns and because of that I think the OP suffers due to less than accurate info..I think those new to this business deserve the best info we can provide.. I am not here because I need help...rather I hope to help in some small way those that need it.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Oh Moe if you could add to your list that people fill out their location so that we can determine if they are close perhaps we can help them in person. or send them something.

That is a great point but Harold or some admin type would have to edit the original post..time has expired for me to do it.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Perhaps if a template were offered somehow for new posters to structure their first post. The template might include what Moe suggests. The poster could be made aware of it at as part of the process of their registration on the site. A template for the other thread titles might also be helpful.

Another good point.

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

That is a great point but Harold or some admin type would have to edit the original post..time has expired for me to do it.
Done. I'm not sure where we can put this where new posters are likely to see it. I'll have to give it some thought. Keep the comments coming and we can add as appropriate to the topic.

klokwiz

NAWCC Member
Feb 4, 2009
Annapolis, MD
Country
Region

Moe,

Think you have a good suggestion. It never hurts to get more information up front. Some who are asking really don't have much idea of what they are getting into or how to ask. Having an automotive background i always go back to my experience with people who want "to work" on cars, many of whom havn't a clue. Nor do they have the aptitude to know when tight is tight, and not wring off every screw they touch. But back to our board, I think the majority of you who answer the many questions posted do so in a professional and caring manner, giving freely of your time and expertise. I have gained much from our interaction and have tried to share my experience with others. Possibly a more structured approach may benefit the process.

It has often occured to me that many of the questions I ask can't be the first time asked, but i do not have much success in finding posts on the subject using our search mechanism, but if googled it will take me to a message board post i couldnt find with the search at the upper right corner. I was also looking for the clock terminalogy post the other day to find a name for a part and couldn't locate it, at least i thought there was a post like that. making tools like that more readily available may also help.

i have seen a post that explains how to post pictures, maybe a post should be created to explain how to get the most out of the posting a question. But like many instruction manuals it may well be ignored and people will just do what they do. I'm not sure I want to see too much structure, the free flowing nature of this site is good.

I would like to see that the great deal of information discussed is not lost and can be accessed more readily.

Joe.

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region

I wonder if there could be something like a "quick start" quide when you first register? Not 50 pages, just a recommended checklist with things like Moe's list, key links e.g. clock part terminology, etc. Sort of like when you buy a new electronic device, there may be the 100 page manual,,,but then there is the quick start, short and to the point.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Done. I'm not sure where we can put this where new posters are likely to see it. I'll have to give it some thought. Keep the comments coming and we can add as appropriate to the topic.

I was thinking the same thing before I started the thread. In order to be affective it has to be front and center to the new comers. My suggestion would be to refer new comers to the thread before getting into their problem. Just a way to jump start their thread and get down to brass tacks..

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

A don't might be to refrain from getting off topic (guilty). I'm sure that's frustrating to someone looking for answers to their problem..I have seen threads go south to the point I forgot what the OP's question was..

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region

Agreed Moe, and I am probably guilty of that one. Sometimes the thread just begs other questions and morphs off. I guess one should start a new thread at that point, rather than high jack the OP's.

aitchgee

Feb 5, 2013
Surrey, UK
Country

Could I have a couple of pence worth as a newbie punter? I think correct terminology is very important, and I like to use it whenever I can, and also hate talking like an idiot ("It's that bent bit of wire that sticks out of the big wheel", etc etc) so I looked early on at the pages here on clock parts. I guess it's very difficult to produce a comprehensive guide and the drawings you have, which I think are from the De Carle book, can only go so far. They really didn't help me describe cuckoo clock parts at all. I think there are also differences in terminology on different sides of the Atlantic, too. I'm not sure what the answer is; I'm just saying I think it's a real problem. Pictures with annotations seemed to me the way to go.
I'd be very interested increasing my knowledge in a practical way - which why I asked a question about flies earlier today. I'd like to understand the reason there's a warning stage in the strike sequence, too. How do I find this stuff out? Do I keep asking questions, or is there somewhere else on here where iI'll find all the answers?
Apologies if this is a bit disjointed and not particularly helpful- I just thought it might be useful to outline the problems I see.
I quite agree about the need for you to know about workshop equipment and abilities. Maybe a grading system would help: 1 means I have a pair of pliers and a screwdriver up to 5 meaning I have a lathe and milling machine. (You have to assume "and I can use them", of course)
I don't mind threads straying a bit, by the way. I can often learn a bit more from that.
Thanks anyway. You do a fantastic job. I'm very grateful for the help I have received.

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region

aitchgee I think your post is important. We have to remember that all the stuff we see on the MB is produced by volunteers and just plain ol' long term members. When I get frustrated when trying to find something.. and can't .. and ask "why can't they just......", I have to remember that the "they" is also "me". In order to make this MB a great resource we all have to give back in the best way we can. So suggestions like yours will perhaps trigger someone to share some more knowledge.

And I like your "grading system".. again it could be a simple checklist with a menu of increasing equipment..starting with nothing to varioius hand tools and progressing into things like rotary tools, mills, lathes etc. Again has to be fairly coarse so as not to get too involved.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region

I'm more for freestylin'. Let the newcomer state his request as he wants or is able. Each is a new challenge and for me a welcome challenge. If starting a topic is too complicated many will be scared away and not post. Some are intimidated by just posting . They'd probably never post.
"Tell us what you got". We'll help you sort it out.

Zu-Astarti

Feb 24, 2012
Anytown USA
Country

I hate the word newbie, so I'll say: as a relative newcomer here, I have to agree with Scottie. If it looks too intimidating, folks will be scared off. Maybe at least some of that information (like location) could be required instead of optional when new users create their profile. There wouldn't be anything stopping them from giving their location as something stupid, like The Land That Time Forgot, but it would probably help more often than not. Just sayin'...

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region

Agreed that we don't like it to be "too intimidating", So when the new user signs on it should just be a simple "if you would like to get good resonses quickly and accurately, then please check this list" or words to that effect.. other wise.. just log in.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA

It might be made to look like an optional survey. You know with questions like,
"why are you jointing this MB?"
1. Identify a clock
2. find a value for a clock
3. find a repair for a clock
4. find information on how to repair a clock
5. look for a clock part
6. other
"What clock experience do you have?"
1. I have no prior knowledge of clocks
2. I have repaired many clocks
3. I've oiled one or more clocks
etc etc
From the survey, direct the new person to
targeted FAQ section. Before letting them post.
At least they would have to hit the "NEXT" button
without reading anything to get to the message board.
You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.
Tinker Dwight

Jay Fortner

Feb 5, 2011
Chiefland,Fl.
Country
Region

The only thing that I would like to see emphasized is the quality of photos,kinda hard to help someone who posts blurry pics.
I myself have had to take a photo several times before I feel it's of quality to be of any use.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008

A don't might be to refrain from getting off topic (guilty.
Yeah, me too. Not happy about it though. Sometimes the morphed post is much more interesting than the OP but it sure screws up the searching aspect. Hard to find stuff that doesn't have doesn't have its own title.

I think that Moe's idea is very important. I believe that 'short and sweet' guidelines are what Moe is thinking about but it might be a good idea to add a good clear DESCRIPTION of the problem. I know a large amount of posters (and my customers too) start with something like: my clock doesn't work anymore, my clock has a problem, etc. Need to at least nail it down to the strike, chime, or going train, when possible!

Willie X

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA

What would be cool but would take a lot of work would
be a cross reference for pictures and and articles.
I'd even be willing to help filter some but I have limited time
and someone else would need to setup the data base to start
with. It is frustrating when looking for a particular clock or
movement that you know you've seen but can't find
with the search engine.
We should also try to help people post their pictures rather
than useless pointers that are gone in a few months.
Tinker Dwight

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

Judging from our user numbers, I think the MB is pretty popular. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. Why make the newbie jump through hoops to get help? After 10 or 12 posts, the information will usually get expanded and clarified anyway. Sometimes the question asked for clarification helps another person learn how to trouble shoot and reason on repair techniques. We have a good thing going. I say leave well enough alone. The end result of good intentions could well be another FAQ site with robotic "tell me your problem, and I'll match it with a pat answer from our archives". Not what we're about, is it?

bangster

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 1, 2005
utah
Country
Region

Judging from our user numbers, I think the MB is pretty popular. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. Why make the newbie jump through hoops to get help? After 10 or 12 posts, the information will usually get expanded and clarified anyway. Sometimes the question asked for clarification helps another person learn how to trouble shoot and reason on repair techniques. We have a good thing going. I say leave well enough alone. The end result of good intentions could well be another FAQ site with robotic "tell me your problem, and I'll match it with a pat answer from our archives". Not what we're about, is it?
Right on, bug. My thoughts exactly.

While I'm here, I'd like to comment on this remark:
I think correct terminology is very important, and I like to use it whenever I can, and also hate talking like an idiot ("It's that bent bit of wire that sticks out of the big wheel", etc etc) so I looked early on at the pages here on clock parts. I guess it's very difficult to produce a comprehensive guide and the drawings you have, which I think are from the De Carle book, can only go so far. They really didn't help me describe cuckoo clock parts at all.
which strikes me as completely off-the-wall, complaining about what isn't here for his convenience. As others have pointed out, there's no "They" providing the resources here: it's all voluntary, and people who take the time to contribute should be appreciated for what they do, not dissed for what they haven't done.
I presume the OP has checked out This Thread, but his complaint about "drawings from De Carle" suggests that he didn't proceed past the first entry. Items in the "Helps" forum, and in the Useful Hints threads, and in the Encyclopedia, don't come from any privileged circle. They're contributed by people who have something to contribute, and who are willing to take the time to contribute it. If an article on cuckoo clocks is wanted, the thing to do is to learn about cuckoo clocks, and then write it, instead of waiting for somebody else to do it for you.

Is what I think.

aitchgee

Feb 5, 2013
Surrey, UK
Country

which strikes me as completely off-the-wall, complaining about what isn't here for his convenience. As others have pointed out, there's no "They" providing the resources here: it's all voluntary, and people who take the time to contribute should be appreciated for what they do, not dissed for what they haven't done.
I presume the OP has checked out This Thread, but his complaint about "drawings from De Carle" suggests that he didn't proceed past the first entry. Items in the "Helps" forum, and in the Useful Hints threads, and in the Encyclopedia, don't come from any privileged circle. They're contributed by people who have something to contribute, and who are willing to take the time to contribute it. If an article on cuckoo clocks is wanted, the thing to do is to learn about cuckoo clocks, and then write it, instead of waiting for somebody else to do it for you.

Is what I think.
Blimey - absolutely no dissing was intended at all. I thought I'd bent over backwards to say how much I appreciated the site and the help you all offer. I couldn't quite believe it when I first found it. I am astonished that anyone read it that way. All I was trying to do was give a novice's view of the difficulties that are encountered when you try get into something this technical without quite understanding what you're into and not really being able to explain to people who know it inside out. I thought that might be useful.
I'm more than happy to browse around here, picking up knowledge all over the place. But it'll be a long time before I'm able to contribute anything worthwhile.

hookster

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2011
Pottageville Ontario Canada
Country
Region

I was thinking the same Scottie.

Tinker Dwight

Oct 11, 2010
Calif. USA

Hi
When I mentioned a FAQ, I didn't mean one that would answer all
a persons questions, just some helpful hints, Like if your going
to ask about a problem on a clock, pictures are a good place to start
on the first post. If your looking for someone to fix something
for you, a location is needed.
Things like that.
Tinker Dwight

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Agreed that we don't like it to be "too intimidating", So when the new user signs on it should just be a simple "if you would like to get good resonses quickly and accurately, then please check this list" or words to that effect.. other wise.. just log in.
I like that..well put..

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Yeah, me too. Not happy about it though. Sometimes the morphed post is much more interesting than the OP but it sure screws up the searching aspect. Hard to find stuff that doesn't have doesn't have its own title.

I think that Moe's idea is very important. I believe that 'short and sweet' guidelines are what Moe is thinking about but it might be a good idea to add a good clear DESCRIPTION of the problem. I know a large amount of posters (and my customers too) start with something like: my clock doesn't work anymore, my clock has a problem, etc. Need to at least nail it down to the strike, chime, or going train, when possible!

Willie X

Thanks...glad to have a collective brain here..mine is rusty..

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Is what I think.

This is why I included #7 in my OP even though it doesn't belong there...I prefer the gentle approach...like coaxing a stray dog to come to you..(and no I'm not comparing newcomers to dogs so don't go there..) At the risk of repeating myself I see this and other MB's as a way to pass on experience and techniques that would otherwise be lost or slowly aquired..Lets not muck it up..

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region

Moe when I first saw your thread it got me thinking that there are sort of two sections to your list...One a sort of bio which would include #'s 1,2 ,4, 5 and perhaps others, and this would be a permanent part of the members profile. Then there are suggestions for how to get the best responses for your particular problem. clear pictures, description of the problem etc.

I pictured the bio to be available when your put your cursor over the member's name or picture. No use suggesting a solution that requires a lathe if the member doesn't have one. Anyway I was just doing a little brainstorming by myself.

Sounds though that there are other members who don't see value in your suggestion.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Just to recap...my only intent with this thread is to provide quicker and more definitive answers to those in need..We can't assume everyone has a lathe, mill and or drill press and drawers full of special tools.. as it is now by the time we determine that we have cluttered the thread with, maybe, useless info to the OP or we have caused undue frustration..

Perhaps some insight into my MO... I was in upper management in my former life...old habits, training and experience don't vanish when you leave that life...so as long as I'm allowed to be here I will strive to do my part to improve things..As we all should..and to all those who dislike my attempt to do that...all that comes to mind is an anatomically impossible act...:)

Bring the scalpel Harold...:D

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Moe when I first saw your thread it got me thinking that there are sort of two sections to your list...One a sort of bio which would include #'s 1,2 ,4, 5 and perhaps others, and this would be a permanent part of the members profile. Then there are suggestions for how to get the best responses for your particular problem. clear pictures, description of the problem etc.

I pictured the bio to be available when your put your cursor over the member's name or picture. No use suggesting a solution that requires a lathe if the member doesn't have one. Anyway I was just doing a little brainstorming by myself.

Sounds though that there are other members who don't see value in your suggestion.

You have some great ideas as I was hoping for...And if everyone agreed with me then one of us would be unnecessary..Resistance to change is a normal human tendancy..But..The majority, with admins blessing, will prevail..

However..if the my understanding of the purpose of this MB is inaccurate then this thread should be deleted immediately..

I'm just an old retired dude with too much time on his hands..and bike riding weather is here..

harold bain

NAWCC Member
Deceased
Nov 4, 2002
Whitby, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region

Harold if you would, please remove #7 from my OP..Not intended for the newcomer..
Done. Lets try to work from post one, instead of reinventing the wheel. I can add or subtract anything to or from the original post.
Just as a note, it seems like too often we (or at least some of us) are trying to send our original posters into areas of the escapement where they are not qualified to work, and where the problem is very unlikely to be. Lets try to keep the responses simple, and the repairs within the realms of possibility of our newbies. Making unneeded adjustments just gives our poster an extra reason his clock won't run.

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

I imagine part of that is from relative newbies trying to be helpful. I've had my share of guilt in giving advise that was later shown to be off the mark, but over time have been able to be more tuned in. If I had Harold's power, I'd probably sneak back in time and eliminate some of my old posts :) That said, I'll openly admit that most of my formal clock education was acquired right here, from you guys. Even adding dumb posts has helped me learn, and the "off topic" meanderings are way more helpful than the actual solution to the problem in many cases. The fact that many newbies join NAWCC and become regular posters is an asset, in my humble opinion. They're continuing their education, and trying to pay it forward too. It also is a thumbs up to all who contribute to these pages. So ... kudos to all, pat yourselves on the back, and keep on keepin' on. I wouldn't change a thing (except as already mentioned!) :D

coldwar

May 20, 2009
www.hoagsclockshop.com
Country

....so as long as I'm allowed to be here I will strive to do my part to improve things..As we all should..and to all those who dislike my attempt to do that...all that comes to mind is an anatomically impossible act...:)
I'm just an old retired dude with too much time on his hands..and bike riding weather is here..
Let me remind you with a smile your advice to me on the ammoniated cleaning solutions thread 9-15-2012:

Chill out man...not that important...It's gonna be OK..:)
https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?90791-A-Superfine-Cleaning-Solution&p=701981#post701981 Post #29

I make no bones about why I have in the past offered my experience in these pages, it is simply a attempt to feel better about myself. This attempt at becoming more well rounded is based on the fact I really don't care if what I have learned perishes with me and if anything I have related to horology ends up in the landfill. How does one who is considered by others out in the real world as well adjusted come to this hard place? As this thread, this board and for most of the last 35 years of my exposure to this club has demonstrated to me very little of ones practical experience when offered or when solicited by others is actually considered and viewed through the prism of betterment of horology. This and these venues are a new evolution of the Gf-Gc theory, meaning when people with lots of degrees and time invested in schooling decide what the truth is in advance, please don't try to offer proven facts or methods to come to consensus on any focused topic. The minds of those you try to help along to avoid some of the mistakes you made are closed to new and potentially better ideas and methods, unless of course the road to truth runs through their space. I'll bet one who has spent their career in upper management already knows this and I merely remind you of what good intent has sponged away from your live knowledge. What do I ask? Just consider some unsolicited advice, a simple rule for a nominally happy life: JUST LET IT GO, a simplification of your previous advice. There will always be those who do and those who study, and now in the age of chats and live electronic interaction those who use this as a substitute for actually getting anything done at the repair bench. I tip my hat to you Moe for at least trying. CW

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region

As this thread, this board and for most of the last 35 years of my exposure to this club has demonstrated to me very little of ones practical experience when offered or when solicited by others is actually considered and viewed through the prism of betterment of horology. CW
Wow. I hope you don't think that's the reality, CW! It may be true for a few, but most of us are not done learning yet! Get back on that horse, my friend!

David S

NAWCC Member
Dec 18, 2011
Brockville, On Canada
Country
Region

I was supprised at the comment as well. I figured there was a typo somewhere. Although I can't speak from 35 years of exposure.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Let me remind you with a smile your advice to me on the ammoniated cleaning solutions thread 9-15-2012:

https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?90791-A-Superfine-Cleaning-Solution&p=701981#post701981 Post #29

I make no bones about why I have in the past offered my experience in these pages, it is simply a attempt to feel better about myself. This attempt at becoming more well rounded is based on the fact I really don't care if what I have learned perishes with me and if anything I have related to horology ends up in the landfill. How does one who is considered by others out in the real world as well adjusted come to this hard place? As this thread, this board and for most of the last 35 years of my exposure to this club has demonstrated to me very little of ones practical experience when offered or when solicited by others is actually considered and viewed through the prism of betterment of horology. This and these venues are a new evolution of the Gf-Gc theory, meaning when people with lots of degrees and time invested in schooling decide what the truth is in advance, please don't try to offer proven facts or methods to come to consensus on any focused topic. The minds of those you try to help along to avoid some of the mistakes you made are closed to new and potentially better ideas and methods, unless of course the road to truth runs through their space. I'll bet one who has spent their career in upper management already knows this and I merely remind you of what good intent has sponged away from your live knowledge. What do I ask? Just consider some unsolicited advice, a simple rule for a nominally happy life: JUST LET IT GO, a simplification of your previous advice. There will always be those who do and those who study, and now in the age of chats and live electronic interaction those who use this as a substitute for actually getting anything done at the repair bench. I tip my hat to you Moe for at least trying. CW

I respect your opinion. As for me, hope springs eternal. If any of my repair techniques help one person that's a plus. I'm not keeping score. Don't have a need to know. I have never forced anyone to see my way or the highway...Since I don't have to work I have more time than most to do charitable work..and don't get the wrong opinion...I'm a conservative..to the right of Rush..

And it is free..:)

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

I imagine part of that is from relative newbies trying to be helpful. I've had my share of guilt in giving advise that was later shown to be off the mark, but over time have been able to be more tuned in. If I had Harold's power, I'd probably sneak back in time and eliminate some of my old posts :)

Yes..I have read some..but same goes for me so lets keep this between the two of us...:)

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Done. Lets try to work from post one, instead of reinventing the wheel. I can add or subtract anything to or from the original post.
Just as a note, it seems like too often we (or at least some of us) are trying to send our original posters into areas of the escapement where they are not qualified to work, and where the problem is very unlikely to be. Lets try to keep the responses simple, and the repairs within the realms of possibility of our newbies. Making unneeded adjustments just gives our poster an extra reason his clock won't run.

Couldn't agree more..I cringe when that happens..

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region

I like the idea Moe. I agree with others who suggest that some type of checklist like this could be offered at registration as well as a permanent thread in Clock Repair....perhaps somewhere near the top of the list where it would be hard to miss. This list would naturally have appropriate how-to links such as uploading photos. It takes time to learn your way around a new environment so there will always be those who jump right in with a burning question about their broken clock. If there is a check-list, the OP could be referred to it, or it could be copied and pasted directly into their thread, perhaps with some customization before the post is submitted back to the OP. I see posts all the time with questions which really require photos. For example, folks will ask for help to identify their clock when they haven't taken the time to upload a photo with their request. We've all seen it over and over again. Often a moderator is usually right on top of the situation with a request for photos. If the OP is serious, they'll respond. If not, the thread goes unanswered. It's the same with clock repair although it's usually much easier to identify them than it is to fix them. So this list could be another tool in a complicated, varied process. If not used by the inexperienced OP, then by the Moderator and other experienced members to quickly add useful structure and focus to a thread.

Bruce Alexander

Sponsor
NAWCC Brass Member
Feb 22, 2010
Hanover, PA
www.testoftimeclocks.com
Country
Region

Just pondering...In order to make advice on repairs more effective I feel the following info on the requestor would be of great help if not essential.

1. Location of poster. Can be added to profile before posting.

2. Level of tooling available..

3. Close up pictures of the problem area. More than one and different angles under good lighting.

4. A basic understanding of clock parts terminology.

5. Level of experience..none to X number of repairs.

6. Don't hesitate to question advice or techniques offered if unclear..

There are more but I defer to those with superior knowledge to add their thoughts if they deem this thread worthy.. Might even make a good sticky to read before requesting help..

#6 is for me...I do a hell of a lot better than I say do...I need a secretary..
I was thinking that items such as 5, 4 and 2 could be a required part of the registration process, displayed on the "About Me" page. This would be important general information that the new member wouldn't have to repeat every time he or she asked a technical question. It would still be anonymous so it shouldn't be an obstacle for those wishing to post. It would then be up to members offering advice to check the poster's background when they think it's relevant.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

So this list could be another tool in a complicated, varied process. If not used by the inexperienced OP, then by the Moderator and other experienced members to quickly add useful structure and focus to a thread.
Good input.. I'm sure Harold and others are watching this thread and will act when/if they deem it necessary and what to do with it..

I'm guilty of not asking these questions before posting which prompted me to float the idea and see who salutes it..

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

I would be very surprised if there weren't. Sure would put a dent in the theory of human nature...Anyway It's going nowhere unless the powers to be deem it worthy...

hookster

NAWCC Member
Jan 14, 2011
Pottageville Ontario Canada
Country
Region

Good suggestion TAT.
I was thinking that items such as 5, 4 and 2 could be a required part of the registration process, displayed on the "About Me" page. This would be important general information that the new member wouldn't have to repeat every time he or she asked a technical question. It would still be anonymous so it shouldn't be an obstacle for those wishing to post. It would then be up to members offering advice to check the poster's background when they think it's relevant.

moe1942

Oct 25, 2010
Alexandria, La
Country
Region

Good suggestion TAT.

I also think this is close to the best way to implement this..

Looks like this thread has pretty well run its course so it we will either see it die on the vine or it will be implemented in some form..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Smartin
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-