Attending the 2022 Mid-South Regional, Dalton, Ga.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region

I will be in attendance with 2 Tables and would like to meet anyone that posts on the forums.

This was held in Chattanooga for many years but moved down the road 30 miles because the Chattanooga Convention Center increased prices so much it wasn't possible...

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
I bought a watch from Jim (from his table) and it's one of my nicest Hamiltons!
(I do have a thing for the 19j)

20190629_172728.jpg 20190629_172446iuh.jpg

Rob

Last edited:

musicguy

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2017
New York State
Country
To me these events are very important for the health of the NAWCC.
You can find a special watch and actually hold it in your Hand
and inspect it with your own loupe or eyes and ask questions about it.
It's also fun to just look around at everything.

Rob

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
To me these events are very important for the health of the NAWCC.
You can find a special watch and actually hold it in your Hand
and inspect it with your own loupe or eyes and ask questions about it.
It's also fun to just look around at everything.

Rob
And talk to great people who share the same passion!

Paul Regan

NAWCC Member
Mar 4, 2003
Florida
Country
Region
First time I’m going to miss the show in 6 years. Always enjoy seeing good friends.
Have fun folks, Paul

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Very happy to report that over 60 Visitors were checked in today.

Some of them bought Watches & Clocks, I tried to engage as many of them that would talk and we had a great day.

I will post some Pic's etc. when I get home.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Back from Dalton, GA. (Carpet Capital of the world) and Happy to report that today we had 6 more Public Guest, however because 80% of the tables were empty it was a disappointment for them.

Maybe we should put in a rule that table holders are required to say Mart hours or not be sold table for the next show?;)

20220902_135859.jpg

20220902_135907.jpg Some Hamilton Colored Boxes and Factory Box Sets

20220902_140229.jpg 20220902_140229.jpg 20220902_140209.jpg 20220902_140040.jpg Military watches are always popular, The M22 and 2974B, 4992B are gone

20220902_140238.jpg 20220903_080311.jpg The 951 is Gone Sold for $11,500

20220902_140338.jpg My beauitful wife Becky and invaluable helper

20220902_135913.jpg Opps ! Wrong Forum Some 214's Space views.....

Last edited:

Kent

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Gold Member
Aug 26, 2000
Country
Maybe we should put in a rule that table holders are required to say Mart hours or not be sold table for the next show?
They used to do that at the Eastern States Regional.

But that was when the tables were always sold out and there was a waiting list for the next year's tables . I don't know if that would work today.

Dick C

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2009
Country
Perhaps giving the 6 people their money back would go a long way!

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Perhaps giving the 6 people their money back would go a long way!
Dick,
I doubt that they were charged, I talked to Late Visitors at past 3 PM on Saturday and they were comped any fees...

Last edited:
Reactions: PatH

Lee Passarella

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2015
Country
Region
The show was a good one, far superior to last year's, a victim of the pandemic. It is a shame that a number of sellers packed up around 1 or 2 PM on Saturday. Unfortunately, they didn't pack up early enough from just about bankrupting me.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
Dick,
I doubt that they were charged, I talked to Late Visitors at past 3 PM on Saturday and they were comped any fees...
I've heard of other Regionals doing this also. I think that's why Public days/times may start earlier at some Regionals.

It looks like the upcoming Regionals are scheduled for two days. It will be interesting to hear if this encourages table holders to stay longer.

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
A couple of things that I did not cover with the Regional were the great advance advertising. I read in the Chattanooga Times on Aug 24th a great article about the Regional and then again a few days before another article covering the $10 Visitor Pass to enter etc, and describing the Clock & watch activities in detail.

There was a nice Tail Gate advent on Friday morning that filled up the Parking lot and ran strong for almost 3 hours. The show was suppose to Open at 12 o'clock and I asked Sherry & Glen Kitts about coming in early to set up and they said, Why Not.

Well if you attended shows over the years it seems like the chapters in charge enjoy making the Attendees wait around for nothing, so this was a welcome change from shows in the past :clap:

Dick C

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2009
Country
I've heard of other Regionals doing this also. I think that's why Public days/times may start earlier at some Regionals.

It looks like the upcoming Regionals are scheduled for two days. It will be interesting to hear if this encourages table holders to stay longer.
PatH,

I answered this post and a moderator chose to eliminate my post and start a new thread with my post.

I have never heard of this happening. It reeks of censorship. So what else is being moved that you, I and others are missing?

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
Dick,
I requested that your critical post of regional s be moved because it was inappropriate to this thread I started to show people that Regional' s can be run successfully and without any pain to the attendees.

The Chapters who organized this regional deserve better treatment than a post like yours .

As most of you know all the people involved are volunteers and do this work for the betterment of the NAWCC. :thumb:

Last edited:
Reactions: Old rookie and 179

Dave Coatsworth

Senior Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Business
NAWCC Fellow
Sponsor
Feb 11, 2005
Camarillo, CA
www.daveswatchparts.com
Country
Region
Dick,
There is no 'censorship'. When a thread starts to go off topic, the off topic portion of the thread can be broken off to start a new thread. This is common practice on just about any well run forum that you might visit.

Reactions: Old rookie

Dick C

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2009
Country
Dick,
I requested that your critical post of regional s be moved because it was inappropriate to this thread I started to show people that Regional' s can be run successfully and without any pain to the attendees.

The Chapters who organized this regional deserve better treatment than a post like yours .

As most of you know all the people involved are volunteers and do this work for the betterment of the NAWCC. :thumb:
First of all, you have no right asking that a post be moved anywhere.

Second of all, the post was in response to PatH's comment and was in no way directed at the latest regional which by the comments I read was most successfull with the exception that table holders were pretty much gone by mid day Saturday.

Third of all, my intention in responding to PatH, was that there may be some things that should be checked to see what they left so Potential New Members would not be disappointed when they spent the time to get there, only to find that it was sparse.

If you, the moderators, perhaps the members of the board, and others insist on moving posts then what is next? Is it deletion of posts that one does not like?

This forum and perhaps the NAWCC are caught in an outmoded model.

I look forward to your response as well as the moderator's response.

PatH

NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Dec 5, 2014
Texas
Country
Region
I'm ok with moving my comment (as well as this one) to a separate thread. It was merely an observation of some of the changes we are seeing as efforts to accommodate and provide the best experience for table-holders and attendees, both members and non-members. I had no intention of disparaging the titled event, as I think it sounds like it was well run and had good attendance.

Pat

grtnev

NAWCC Member
Jan 18, 2009
Minden, Nevada
Country
Region
You guys & gals that live where you can attend a Regional or the annual convention are very fortunate. There are a lot of us whose only connection to NAWCC is through this forum, and the NAWCC website.

Richard

Reactions: PatH

Jim Haney

NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Donor
Sep 21, 2002
Decatur, TN.
Country
Region
First of all, you have no right asking that a post be moved anywhere.
Dick,

Everyone has the RIGHT to ask anything at any time, your statement that I do not have the right to ask something about posts & threads is ridiculous.

The Mods & Admins are few in numbers and to ask that they Volunteer their time and efforts to cover the forums 24 seven is near impossible`. That is the reason for the Report button so that when ANYONE sees something inappropriate the Mods can be notified.

That doesn't mean that when someone reports it that request will be done, just an alert system to help spread the load out. When you post critical of Regional' s and questions about this or that was or wasn't done just sidetracked this thread about a successful Regional and was off topic and inappropriate.

Last edited:

Sherry Kitts

Board Secretary
Staff member
Director
NAWCC Member
Apr 15, 2013
Glad to hear the great comments! - and happy any negative comments unrelated to the 2022 Mid-South Regional were moved to another string as we heard almost nothing but positive comments about the event and are very appreciative of them. Thank you to everyone for coming and for the great feedback. Bob and Fran Geier did a super job of planning the move to Dalton for the Mid-South Regional and instead of losing money, we should come out in the black.

With regard to people staying we could have a one day show and turn the unclaimed tables and the tables left early into a positive by re-renting them at a reduced rate after a certain time or after the original table holder leaves. I don't think punishment is effective - it only upsets people. But if we print that we are reselling unoccupied tables (at reduced rate) on the registration form, we may make some folks happy. Especially if we have a tight show with limited tables available.

Dadistic

Nov 15, 2015
Country
I was surprised to see a post about a regional in the American Pocket Watch Forum, I wasn't expecting it. I'm glad people are able to do these events, but It's not why I come to this forum. I come to learn about American Pocket Watches. Since this was put here, I don't understand why replies addressing marts would not be appropriate, and I didn't see anything overly critical that should upset anyone, just some ideas about ways to improve things in the future.
I am unlikely to ever attend a regional or national event, they are too distant from me and I gave up riding in flying cattle cars years ago. Life is too short :)
So, if off topic is OK, then it should be OK for everyone. If not, I for one would probably prefer that this forum sticks to the subject at hand.

Thanks for providing such a wonderful place where knowledgeable people are so generous, it's really helped me become familiar with timepieces that I would be unlikely to come across in person. I'm gradually gaining the knowledge that I need to be comfortable acquiring watches "at a distance" , I know much more now what to expect and what's out there.

Cheers!

Dick C

NAWCC Member
Oct 14, 2009
Country
Glad to hear the great comments! - and happy any negative comments unrelated to the 2022 Mid-South Regional were moved to another string as we heard almost nothing but positive comments about the event and are very appreciative of them. Thank you to everyone for coming and for the great feedback. Bob and Fran Geier did a super job of planning the move to Dalton for the Mid-South Regional and instead of losing money, we should come out in the black.

With regard to people staying we could have a one day show and turn the unclaimed tables and the tables left early into a positive by re-renting them at a reduced rate after a certain time or after the original table holder leaves. I don't think punishment is effective - it only upsets people. But if we print that we are reselling unoccupied tables (at reduced rate) on the registration form, we may make some folks happy. Especially if we have a tight show with limited tables available.
Unfortunately, you do not get it! There were not "any negative comments" intended or said.

Again, my comments were in reaction to PatH's post and were targetted at the portion of the comments about those tableholders leaving by mid-day Saturday. Further my comments were asking as to whether future regionals might be strengthened, including the adding of members which this organization needs. If it is not the case about strengthening membership then there is very little in the future.

Again, the Dalton folks are to be congratulated.

terry hall

NAWCC Silver Member
Apr 12, 2001
Central North Carolina
Country
Region
Well i have licked my wounds and recovered somewhat from the travel and wanted to interject a few comments.

Dalton, nice 'big little town', clean, seeming friendly, some traffic congestion in high density areas.
Plenty of 'chain' restaurants to support a crowd, but would like more info on local 'mom-n-pop' operations and 'dives'....

The hotels, plenty of choices, but going through the process of room reservation was a bit to be desired.
No matter what hotel and its listed distance from the venue, no one will make that walk to the Convention Center,
the topography will simply not allow it. Be prepared to drive to the C.C.

The convention center is nice, clean, lighting was better than most venues.
Would like to see the PA system reduced in volume 10 or 30 decibels.... just too loud..and i heard my winning 50/50 number just fine :clap:
Appreciated the tailgate event, much room for growth there.

C.C food... did ya know they had a 'plate lunch' in addition to sandwiches...
Chicken Casserole, roasted potatoes, mixed veggies and drink for 9 bux... hmmmm vot a bargain...

I did walk the exhibit, but did not attend any lectures.
I believe event was close to sell out of tables... hooray... but still 'missing' some of the vendors that consistently visited Chattanooga..
unsure if they've died off or what....
I did see quite a few "public" badges, congrats on that.

I would certainly suggest incorporating "on line" registration, as I don't believe my mail would have been lost if i did not have to mail in $$ and forms...
it is somewhere between Drop box in Lex NC and Birmingham AL...:whistle::?|

Congrats to the volunteers putting on this event. I believe you have the seeds for growth.:thumb:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GregsterB
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Illinois Watch Company by Kent