Attaching cable to drum

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
I'm replacing the cable on a weight driven Waterbury jewlers regulator. Two questions: The weight is about 6 pounds. Does a brass cable of 3/64" (.046) with a rating of 85 pounds seem right? The one thats on currently looks to be of copper and is 1/16". Second question; the current cable is knotted inside the barrel to fasten it, should I route the new cable through and out the end of the barrel and use or make some sort of fastener to secure it. I've never done this work so not sure what it should look like and how to proceed to make it safe. Thanks.

Scottie-TX

Deceased
Apr 6, 2004
Mesquite, TX
Country
Region
's been a while since I've had a pinwheel apart but if anything like a Vienna drum and suspect it is - the knot should be sufficient, given that the hole is very small. The cable you describe sounds more than adequate. Six pounds is not very much.

Vernon

NAWCC Member
Dec 9, 2006
Country
Region
Thanks Scottie,

I agree about the cable. I considered the next size smaller but was pleased all the same to be able to go with something smaller than what was there for at least the last 40 years. I'm a little surprised that there wouldn't be a more elegant way to do the cable considering the effort put into this pinwheels construction. Makes it easy for me I guess.

Willie X

Feb 9, 2008
Vern,

Hopefully the weight will will come to rest on the floor with at least 1/2 turn of cable on the drum. If it runs all the way down, until the weight is pulling directly against the knot the cable will break prematurely at (or near) the knot. Also the cable drum should be comfortably full, with about 1/2 turn of space left, when the clock is fully wound. This way you are using all of the available weight drop, same thing for clocks with stop works.

Sounds like you are already attending to these measures by going with a smaller cable. You always want to use the largest cable that will still satisfy the above requirements but at only 6 pounds you could use many materials and smaller sizes without any worries.

Good luck, Willie X

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iandb
Encyclopedia Pages