Atmos Vendome clock

holee

Aug 5, 2021
Country
Hi,

can anyone tell me more information, such as, it’s history, rarity, price level, etc, on the atmos vendome modal?

Thanks

new_hampster

Aug 3, 2006
Country
Region
The original Vendome is one of the many styles produced based on the caliber 526. The first Vendome was catalogued in 1962, with variations in 1969 and 1972. A second series of Vendomes based on the caliber 540 was produced in the 1990s. See info/photos from Living On Air.

The 526 version spanned a wide range of serial numbers. I own model 5812 with s/n 282xxx with marbled columns and #5834 391xxx with fluted columns, and I recently sold 426xxx also with fluted columns. A third variant #5857 has fluted columns and a marble base.

None of these are common, but if I had to guess, I would say the 5834 is more often seen. With patience, these can be found in the $2000 to $3000 range. I believe the most rare, and most expensive, is the 540 model with the thermometer and hygrometer. I have seen these sell in the $4000-$6000 range. Lately, like many other things, prices are up, so shop carefully.

Vendome.jpg Vendome-540.jpg

Reactions: Richb134

holee

Aug 5, 2021
Country
Hi and wow,

thanks for your reply and lovely photos. Recently, I came across a vendome with escapement numbered 1499xx. No mention on the calibre number. It has fluted columns and marble base with enamel face ring and Roman numerals. Is this one the earliest modal and considered rare to collectors?

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country
holee,
The one you have seen with a open dial that exposes much of the movement including the escapement was introduced in the early 1960s . The one shown below, model 5857 with serial numer 237777 has calibre 526 movement and was made around 1967.
1628250561776.jpeg
1628250702355.jpeg
In my opinion the open dial model is more attractive than the full dial model as it allows the beautiful Atmos movement to be clearly seen.

Mun C W

Last edited:
Reactions: new_hampster

holee

Aug 5, 2021
Country
Hi Mun C W and wow for the nice photos!!

This the same modal I am considering.The modal I have in mind has escapement numbered 1499xx. Do you think it’s made in early 1960s? Can the clock be shipped without special arrangements for delicate clock? Is your side, back n front panels of your clock made of lucite glass?

Thank you very much for your response.

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country
holee,

Quite possibly the model that you mentioned could have be made in the early 1960s. If it has a marble base it would be very heavy weighing close to 15 pounds requiring it to be sufficiently protected with
packing materials before shipping and remember to have the pendulum in the locked position. For added protection you can have it double boxed.
The model that I have shown above has a plastic panel in front with the remaining three other panels made of glass. The picture below shows the same clock in a slightly different view with the four protective panels clearly visible.

1628307924397.jpeg

Mun C W

Last edited:

holee

Aug 5, 2021
Country
Hi Mun C W,

you have a really nice piece of atmos vendome. The one I saw has a big chip at the corner of the front plexi panel and wonder why not made in glass? I also wonder the plastic panel can be easily replaced?

Also shipper wanted to strap the collect to pallet and charge over £600 to HK, which was shocking. I wonder if the clock is very fragile for normal shipping.

I saw another modal made in 1962 which have serial number starting 2xxxxx, which is so far ahead of the piece I’m interested which start at 1499xx. Maybe not original piece?

MUN CHOR-WENG

Sep 5, 2000
Country
Hi holee,

If the clock is properly packed with sufficient packing materials and having it double boxed and clearly labelled FRAGILE, I believe it should be able to make the journey safely to you.

The plastic cover has a hole at the upper center that holds a lever ( see picture below ) which can be rotated to engage a grove under the ceiling of the clock. To have the chipped plastic panel replaced with another plastic piece of similar thickness should not be a problem using the same lever assembly.

As I have mentioned in several of my previous posts it is difficult to date an Atmos accurately without referring to the factory record.

Mun C W

1628319089807.jpeg

Mun C W

new_hampster

Aug 3, 2006
Country
Region
Reactions: Richb134

holee

Aug 5, 2021
Country
He must be a serious collector to have so many wonderful clocks. Is this fabulous hydrometer/thermometer/lunar clock easy to maintain? Is it easy to align to the moon cycles?

Rob_GER

Jun 9, 2020
Country
Well they do repair Atmos what he’s and they have a serious collection or should I say stash of Atmos clocks. Their webpage is Atmos Jaeger LeCoultre - Reparatur - Service - Verkauf and on their Instagram they regularly post pictures of nice Atmos clocks. Btw I’m not affiliated with them but they seem to be one of the go to shops in Germany for Atmos repairs. It’s a father son duo.

Rob_GER

Jun 9, 2020
Country
I noted that background on other pictures from them I. The past and it is stunning.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bruce bic
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last update
-