ATMOS STOPS WORKING

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by proconsul8, Sep 7, 2002.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. proconsul8

proconsul8 Guest

Hello,

I have an Atmos clock which has worked beautifully for a year and a half. Then it stopped. I checked to be sure it was level, made sure the hands weren't blocked, and re-started it. It will work for about 4-5 hours and then stops. This is consistent in over a half dozen tries. Anybody have any idea as to where to go from here?

Thanks,

------------------
    Stephen Marsh

2. proconsul8

proconsul8 Guest

Hello,

I have an Atmos clock which has worked beautifully for a year and a half. Then it stopped. I checked to be sure it was level, made sure the hands weren't blocked, and re-started it. It will work for about 4-5 hours and then stops. This is consistent in over a half dozen tries. Anybody have any idea as to where to go from here?

Thanks,

------------------
    Stephen Marsh

3. Bob Vasquez

Bob Vasquez Guest

The movement may need to be cleaned. Also, the bellows may have gone bad. The bellows are in the large round housing on the back of the clock. The bellows expand and contract and this motion winds the mainspring. Atmos repair is expensive. The bellows alone cost $175 plus mark up and you still have not paid for the repair. Bob V.

4. Walt Wilson

Walt Wilson Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 10, 2002
    Male
    Engineer/Scientist
    Huntsville, AL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Stephen.... my Atmos comes close to stopping from time to time. After years of wondering why it was sluggish I started a serious exploratory of the problem... It turned out to be that my clock sits in a location where the temperature is nearly constant throughout most of the year... only in late Fall/ early Spring does the house change over from heat to cool on an hourly basis... then my Atmos runs great. Try placing yours by a window where it can catch a few hours of direct sunlight and see if it doesn't perk up... Walt

5. Mike Murray

Mike Murray Registered User

Sep 16, 2000
    Make sure that all the set-up is done
    correctly and the best place to start is
    on operations manaul. Please realize that
    this is a universal manual, so there will
    be information that does not apply to your
    particular clock.
    http://www.atmos-man.com/atmocare.html

6. proconsul8

proconsul8 Guest

Once again, thanks to all that replied to my post, this time about the Atmos. I'm positive the right answer is in there.