Atmos screws

rodlloyd

NAWCC Member
Mar 16, 2010
Sterling, Kansas
www.ClockWatchBooks.com
Country
I had a bit of bad luck recently. Last month while dismantling a 528, two of the four screws holding the mainspring barrel cover snapped off when unscrewing them, leaving part of the screw in the barrel cover. I ended up using a barrel cover and screws from a scrap movement to complete my service.

Yesterday, while installing the movement on the frame on another 528, both screws sheared off. Again I used the frame from my scrap movement, but I have no replacement screws to install the movement.

1. Where can I get replacement screws.

2. How can I salvage the barrel cover and frame with partial screws stuck in them.

3. How can I prevent this in the future?

KurtinSA

NAWCC Member
Nov 24, 2014
San Antonio, TX
Country
Region
Is the barrel cover made of brass? It's been documented that using an alum mixture will dissolve the screw and leave the brass in tact.

Kurt

new_hampster

Aug 3, 2006
Country
Region
Odd. I've been tinkering, including complete overhauls, with these clocks for 20 years, and I've never had a screw break. And you had 2 pairs break?

MartinM

Jun 24, 2011
El Dorado, CA
Country
Region
If you have access to the other side of the hole the screw is broken off in, you might try drilling it from the back with a Dremel and hoping the screw breaks free and removes itself so you don't have to do any thread work on the hole. I'd suggest a LH drill bit but, they are hard to find in these sizes.

Jonas

Sep 17, 2020
Country
I found replacement screws on eBay. Spendy, but a necessary evil. Still, no luck removing the broken screws in the screw holes.

Rod
I actually, just yesterday, broke a movement mounting screw on an Atmos, with the threaded portion remaining in the plate. My first observation was that the screw on my Atmos wasn’t brass, it was actually a plated iron or steel. I was able to remove the threaded portion from the plate by using a pointed punch and a jewelers hammer to very delicately tap on one side of the top of the screw threads and VERY slowly backing it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dad.watch
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Watch Inspectors by Kent