Atmos puzzler for the experts.........

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Ray Fanchamps, Jan 17, 2012.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Ray Fanchamps

Ray Fanchamps Deceased
    Deceased

Aug 24, 2000
    N'er do well......
    LLareggub
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here are two images from the same clock.
    A clue (should not be needed). The images tell contradictory stories.

pendulum.jpg

bridge.jpg

If you have the answer perhaps you have the solution as to how one might deal with this. Esp considering the difficulty of accessing the parts once re-assembled.........

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Ray,

Do you have this?

notes.jpg

If not it costs 3.40 at Meadows & Passmore's right there in the UK.

Here's a link that shows how to replace the actual suspension wire:

http://www.dialrepair.com/atmos/atmos.ss.htm

Good luck!

Eric

3. Ray Fanchamps

Ray Fanchamps Deceased
    Deceased

Aug 24, 2000
    N'er do well......
    LLareggub
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Eric, thank you for the recommendations and links. I have been repairing Atmos clocks for a while and always recommend using the manual. As with all manuals they are incomplete and there are some tips that come from experience.

I posted the images as they show a contradiction of settings that, for me at least, will be problematic on reassembly.

The top regulator and the sliding adjuster are set very deep making for a very short suspension spring setting...."fast". The pendulum is loaded with ballast......"slow". The two settings contradict each other, So what to do on rebuilding ? It's a reasonable assumption to believe those settings should work on that clock as they are not adjustments that a "consumer" can mess with. But....... I can't believe this would be a factory setting as it makes no sense (to me at least). If a "repair person" did this was it a setting that worked ?

Taking off one pair of ballast weights will speed up the clock. That will be balanced out by bringing the sliding adjuster up to lengthen the effective length of the suspension spring. At some (as yet unknown ballast point) this would allow for the adjuster to be set in a more "normal" position. It is a royal pain to add or subtract weight as I don't think it can safely be done without dismounting the movement from the base.

My post was part "fun" to see if anyone spotted the problem and part......"what would you do"?

So.......what would any of you do, or perhaps I have missed something ?

4. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ray,

Ok, now that I know it's a "test" question...

To my untrained eye it looks as though the regulating clamp is set too deep into the regulator pipe. This would of course slow the pendulum down requiring running the regulator down to speed things up. If the pendulum has too much mass you would eventually run out of adjustment.

I guess I would reset the regulator and position the clamp properly then see how it goes before looking at the weights.

Eric