Atmos help

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by wow, Aug 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Pineville, La. (central La.)
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Got this one in. Out of beat. Got it in beat. Put one drop of synthetic oil on front minute arbor bushing. Seems to have low power. The chain from the bellows is slightly loose but there is power. I don’t know if I has enough power because it runs a few minutes and the hand almost clicks into position but does not. Touch it gently and it clicks into place. I’m a dummy with these, any help appreciated. Here’s photos:

880D60F4-A1F8-4E3C-A964-A15155C84046.jpeg 75334FEB-8968-42B6-8B93-45E161E04CEB.jpeg F3D5B137-7C72-4E82-A535-7C682F7C3284.jpeg

2. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Retired Avionics Technician
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I'm pretty sure me movement should be dry past the first wheel pivots.

3. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I only put one drop on the minute shaft pivot. The rest is dry. Do you know about the chain?

4. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    No oil on the Atmos except at mainspring and intermediate wheel. Loose chain is a problem.

5. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    One drop of oil is one more than there should be.

I see the chain is loose. It won't wind like that. You'll need to remove the bellows to sort that out.

6. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    hi,
    the chain definitely should not be loose. it rides back and forth with the movement from the bellows motor in rear drum. typical issue would be a flat bellows meaning it is not expanding or contracting with temperature change which provides chain movement to wind mainspring. you will need to determine the following: 1) is chain hung up due to mainspring and or spring winding click malfunction. 2) is the bellows working and or is the chain hung up in bellows area. If you apply pressure on the train will clock continue to run? this is tricky since this pendulum will run or seem to run for 15 minutes. and is subject to the minutest movements of clock.
    Joe

7. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    here are photos from my recent atmos showing chain assy with motor removed. I would not change anything on clock until you resolve loose chain. Joe

motor assy removed.jpg motor assy top view.jpg chain spring assy motor removed.jpg motor chain spring assy top view motor removed.jpg

8. new_hampster

new_hampster Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Any slack in the chain indicates a problem. The back spring should keep all slack out of the chain. Check that the chain is free on the pulley as it enters the bellows housing. It's also possible that the spring on the chain pulley has come loose or has been stretched.

9. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks, gentlemen. Great photos and info. I removed the bellows cover and found the chain unhooked. The pin was inside the bellows. I carefully got it all back together and it is running. We’ll see how long. Will report back. I am posting a photo of it after I got the pin in. I also am including a paragraph from Mike’s clock shop which suggests a drop of oil on the minute arbor bushing. That’s why I oiled that bushing. Is this no longer considered a good practice?

E85AC019-5F13-4391-88FE-1B350B02BA71.jpeg E88A790A-5FA1-41B8-9FF5-4394359430FE.jpeg

10. klokwiz

klokwiz Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 4, 2009
    WRENCH
    Annapolis, MD
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi, glad you found the issue. I think though you have to determine the proper depth for the chain spring and backing plate. If I recall there was a depth measurement shown on one of the atmos repairer sites on how to determine length of chain. the one I pictured had several links dangling from the retaining pin. You also need to make sure the chain is not twisted as it goes thru to the winding wheel at main spring barrel to prevent binding of chain.
    Joe

11. etmb61

etmb61 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Oct 25, 2010
    Mascoutah, IL
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Of course you can oil anything and I'm sure Mike has his reasons, but LeCoulter's documentation states only oil the winding arbor pivots, the intermediate wheel pivots, and the mainspring. There is so little power available that any parasitic loss, such as the viscosity of the oils or the tiny dust particles they attract, can influence the operation of the clock. Also, lubricants always migrate to where you don't want them. If you put oil where it isn't needed you kind of force yourself to service the movement more often than it would have needed if left dry. If it won't run dry I would suggest you have some other problem.

My thoughts.

Eric

12. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you, gentlemen. It’s running great and keeping good time. Fixing the bellows and setting the best did it.

13. wow

wow Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 24, 2008
    Male
    Retired Music Minister
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The customer picked it up Saturday after it ran perfectly in my shop for several weeks. He was extremely proud to have it running. It was a retirement gift of his now deceased father. Very happy ending.
    Now.......I have another Atmos exactly like it in my shop that will not stay running. I have set the beat and checked everything I know to check. There is good power supplied to the escapement. It just will not keep running. Where do I go next? I need suggestions from you experts please.

14. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    If in beat, with a good bellows, properly positioned fork, culprit possibly a dry mainspring.