Atmos clock

jayc

Jul 20, 2021
Country
My Atmos clock keeps stopping after 2 or 3 hours. It seems to stop at the top of the hour(one or two minutes before and after the hour) every time. Any suggestions on why this is happening?

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
Maybe the minute hand is hanging up on something? The minute hand is the only part in an Atmos that has a period of exactly one hour.

Ed O'Brien

NAWCC Member
Nov 30, 2009
Winter Park, FL
Country
When was it last (if ever) serviced. Many form the mid-20th century are still operating without having been cleaned and serviced. The most frequent problem I find is a dry mainspring. A photo of the right side of the movement would be helpful in determining if you may have bellows issues. You have no power, and the heavy balance on the thin suspension spring will allow it to spin down for several hours.

jayc

Jul 20, 2021
Country
Hey Ed,

Here is the photo you requested. the time was 3 minutes after 8 and stopped. thanks

20210721_084211_1626873500973.jpg

jayc

Jul 20, 2021
Country
When was it last (if ever) serviced. Many form the mid-20th century are still operating without having been cleaned and serviced. The most frequent problem I find is a dry mainspring. A photo of the right side of the movement would be helpful in determining if you may have bellows issues. You have no power, and the heavy balance on the thin suspension spring will allow it to spin down for several hours.
Hey Ed,
Not sure if the Atmos have been serviced or cleaned. i got the clock from a clock dealer. Hope the photo can determined what is going on with the clock. thanks

Ed O'Brien

NAWCC Member
Nov 30, 2009
Winter Park, FL
Country
Not a great photo, but it appears the return spring is pretty much pulled back onto the winding cam and the chain is recessed into the bellows cover (the motor). If what I am seeing is correct, you would appear to have a collapsed bellows. Running properly the chain and the small return spring would meet nearer the bottom of the cam.

Reactions: Richb134

jayc

Jul 20, 2021
Country
Not a great photo, but it appears the return spring is pretty much pulled back onto the winding cam and the chain is recessed into the bellows cover (the motor). If what I am seeing is correct, you would appear to have a collapsed bellows. Running properly the chain and the small return spring would meet nearer the bottom of the cam.
thanks Ed. Should i send you a better or closer up picture? Can a collapsed bellows be fixed? will it required the clock to be sent to a pro? if so, who would you recommend? how much will this operation cost? thanks again.

Ed O'Brien

NAWCC Member
Nov 30, 2009
Winter Park, FL
Country
If you can look at it and confirm what I believed I saw, you need to replace the bellows with a recharged one. I will only replace a bellows as part of a complete disassembly, cleaning, inspection and service of an Atmos clock. If you find someone to only replace the bellows, or if you do it yourself, be careful. There are many very small problems that can cause an Atmos to either not run or to fail to keep the precision timing for which they are known. DO NOT rely on someone without the training, tools and experience necessary to work on the Atmos. I see them come in with (expensive) parts broken by inexperienced repairers; with permanent stains on the case, movement, bellows and plates from bare hands; inoperable because of improper oiling; out of beat.... If you have to ship it out for repair, extreme packing is necessary.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Criseldis
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller