Atmos clock winding arbor pulley pin

John Coffman

Aug 31, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
Region
Hi folks,

I'm a home hobbyist that has been tinkering with clock repairs for a few years. This is my first post. I've built up some skills at taking apart movements, cleaning them and reassembling. But the Atmos clock parts are more like watch parts.

I'm attempting to replace the chain on my Atmos Caliber 528-6. I received the replacement chain from Timesavers. I have the winding arbor removed from the clock. But I'm stuck at pressing out the pin that holds the chain and return spring. I'll attach a few pictures. I've read on various threads here that the pin should readily push out. It would be really helpful to know: 1) which direction to press from and 2) what sort of tool I could do that with.

Thanks!

IMG_3080.JPEG IMG_3081.JPEG IMG_3082.JPEG IMG_3083.JPEG

John Coffman

Aug 31, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
Region
I use a small, angled pair of wire cutters to grip the pin and pry it away from the ratchet wheel. Usually no need to completely remove it.
That’s really helpful! Now I know which direction it goes. I tried that with my smallest wire cutters but couldn’t get a grip. I’ll see if I can pick up some smaller cutters.
Do you do anything to the blades to protect the pin surface?

John Coffman

Aug 31, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
Region
Thanks for you help, Ed. I caused to much damage trying to press the pin out from both ends. Now I know the proper direction to push. I had it in so tight, that, even though I had small angled wire cutters, I had to cut in half to get it out. Half pushed out through the top hole and the bottom half was stuck and to small to grab. I ended up drilling it out with a .035" drill. I think I can replace it with a brass tapered pin cut top size.

Jeff Hamilton

NAWCC Member
Jan 2, 2007
Tallahassee, FL
www.AtmosTools.com
Country
John the pin can be driver out either side. The first thing you need to do is remove the winding assembly from the arbor. Then place it on your bench block and take a small punch and drive the pin out until the well area of the pulley is clear and you can remove the old chain. Once the new chain is in place take a smooth jaw parallel pliers and press the pin back in as you hold the new chain in place, kinda tricky.

John Coffman

Aug 31, 2018
Salem Oregon
Country
Region
Thanks for the info Jeff. I couldn't see how to remove the pulley from the arbor. I'm assuming that steel c-clip can be removed? I couldn't really see how. I got the pin out with way to much work. There may have been some drilling involved. :-/ I got the new chain installed and adjusted. I then cleaned and greased the main spring, oiled the winding arbor pivots and the pivots of the next wheel. I'm very happy to have it back together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mark21
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller