Atmos 528-8 too slow

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by georoyer, Jun 3, 2019.

Tags:
  1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. georoyer

georoyer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2002
    My Atmos loses close to 10 minutes per day. Moving the lever on top of the movement to F/A does not seem to make any difference. Is there another way to make it go faster? Much appreciated. George

2. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The suspension spring thickness is the only way to change the speed on a torsion clock without messing with it's length. You might have to increase the suspension thickness by .001" to get the desired result. It might run a bit fast then, so you'll need to turn the regulation knob toward slower again. Do that in small increments over time for the best results.
    NOTE: A change of .001" will make a 4 minute per hour change in speed. Thicker=faster, thinner=slower.

3. mjstewart

mjstewart Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 20, 2016
    Male
    Country Flag:

Good advice but not applicable to the Atmos clock. First thing to check, has the clock been recently serviced. Otherwise it is likely due and old oil on the mainspring can cause timing and running issues. Secondly the gross rate adjustment for a cleaned and working Atmos is to add or remove weight to the balance. Fine rate adjustment then can be done on the regulator which with the appropriate tool can go beyond 30 seconds a day. My experience is limited to only 3 of my own clocks but a lot of reading of this board and a well known instructional video. I'm sure others will weigh in with more expert suggestions.

4. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    DO NOT change the suspension spring for this problem. Probably cleaning. If cleaned, remove weights from the balance. I suspect the clock needs servicing, as the factory recommendation is every 20 years and most have run much longer than that. I normally find a dry mainspring on most Atmos I service.

5. georoyer

georoyer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Thanks Ed for your good advice. I will clean the mechanism.
    As far as removing the weights on the balance, can you explain how this is done. Much appreciated.

6. Ed O'Brien

NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    Weights are attached with two screws on the spokes of the balance wheel. Sounds like you are not experienced with Atmos, so I will caution you that disassembly can be very expensive without the right tools and knowledge. Broken parts (like the center wheel if you break the pivot removing the minute hand) cannot be purchased from LeCoultre and are costly to either replace or repair. If not properly serviced and assembled, the Atmos probably will not run.

7. georoyer

georoyer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Thanks for warning me about the risks of repairing Atmos clocks. I have read almost all that pertains to these clocks. I do not have experience with them but there is only one way to get some experience. In addition, I have been repairing clocks in Ottawa, Canada, for 20 years and I know how to be careful. Atmos clocks are so special, I'd like to be able to repair them.
    Since you know much more than I do, can you tell me if my clock will go faster if I remove some weights from the balance? Thanks.

8. shutterbug

shutterbug Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Oct 19, 2005
    Male
    Self employed interpreter/clock repairer
    Iowa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Clearly, I don't have one and have not worked on one. I assumed they were like all torsion clocks. I'm glad there are experienced people who caught my bad advise. Sorry!! :oops:

9. Ed O'Brien

NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    Weight is reduced to speed it up. One of the first steps of disassembly is removal of the minute hand. This is just about impossible to do without the proper gear puller to prevent breaking the arbor.

10. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I could be wrong and if i am , inform me please. Why would weights have to be removed later to make time keeping right, it was right before. My way of thinking is the clock needs service, which does not mean, to me, any ways removing weights. Thanks.

11. Ed O'Brien

NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    Absolutely right. My reason for the answer was the question: "How are the weights attached?" Service is first, weight adjustment only if necessary.

12. georoyer

georoyer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2002
    My question was "will the clock go faster if one removes the weights on the balance?" But you did not answer the question.

13. georoyer

georoyer Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 28, 2002
    Thank you Ed. That is the best advice I could get and I will do what you say.

14. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thank you Ed for the answer, lots to learn always about Atmos clocks.

15. TQ60

TQ60 Registered User

Sep 15, 2016
    Madera CA
    Country Flag:
    Assume clock was good at some point and given weights are not easy to remove that they are factory.

A dirty clock transmits less power to pendulum which results in slower lesser degree rotation.

If disc is rotating less than 360 or close to 360 degrees it is dirty.

Easy way to measure rotation is count the bars or dots.

If 10 dots each is 36 degrees, count how many pass a point in rotation and multiply by 36 (30 for a 12 bar unit).

Getting the power improved is very difficult for most.

16. matthiasi

matthiasi Registered User

Dec 3, 2010
    Male
    Clock Repair & Restoration
    Kelowna
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Even easier way to measure rotation: use a Water Soluble Felt Pen and put a mark on the pendulum disk when it is at rest, either in the front or back. You can then see the amount of rotation and if it is balanced. If I use my timer, then I attach a thin sliver of darker colored tape to the disk horizontally. Short enough not to hit any supports, long enough to trigger.
    Just working on two of these at present.

Kevin W. likes this.