Atmos 519 Question

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Wynot, Mar 17, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Wynot

Wynot Registered User

Dec 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Hello everyone. I brought home an Atmos clock yesterday. I believe it is a 519 from 1953. I started it up and, so far, it seems to be running well and keeping good time.

I have two questions. What should the balance amplitude be on this caliber? I saw a video of a different caliber Atmos where they said the amplitude, after service, should be between 360 and 540 degrees. The amplitude on my clock is about 315 degrees. Does that suggest mine needs a service or is that fine for a caliber 519?
    My second question has to do with the bellows housing. I understand these are dated inside the housing. I'm curious about the date but am wary about removing it just to check a date. Are there any inherent risks? If it is relative safe, what is the proper way to remove the housing? Thanks!

DSC06762.JPG DSC06781.JPG

victor miranda likes this.
  2. John Hubby

John Hubby Senior Administrator Emeritus
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Life Member

Sep 7, 2000
    The Woodlands, TX
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wynot, thanks for posting. The amplitude is low, probably needs a service to clean up the movement. Virtually all Atmos clocks have relatively the same amplitude range when clean, in beat, and running well.

The date is actually on the bellows, not inside the drum case. Also, you may find the original bellows may have been replaced so the date may not coincide with the manufacturing date of the clock. The serial number on the clock will provide the actual manufacturing date my data or that found on Mike Murray's website. Also, the bellows and drum case can be easily removed, go to Mike Murray's site • Mike's Atmos Clock Clinic Swiss Jaeger LeCoultre Atmos Clock service and repair and Reutter Atmos Clock repair and service pages and FTP pages for both LeCoultre 15 jewel Atmos clock repair and service and LeCoultre 13 jewel Atmos clock repair and Atmos service and you will find instructions for removal.

3. Wynot

Wynot Registered User

Dec 16, 2016
    Country Flag:
    John Hubby, Thanks for your response. When I got the clock home, I set it up on a counter until I could decide where its permanent home should be. I've since moved it there. Curiously, I checked the amplitude after the move and it is now just under 360 degrees. A service is still in its future but I'm just amazed at how sensitive this clock seems to be, even to the most minor adjustments. Given that it appears happy for the time being, I think I'll wait on checking the bellows date. But, thanks to you and Mike Murray's site, I feel like, when the time comes, I will be able to do that without creating issues. Thanks!