• Is it rare

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Villagetime

New User
May 19, 2022
Country
Looking for information on The Atlas Clock Co. Ltd. It runs on a D cell and has a beautiful cut glass dome, has the appearance of a quality made clock.

7BF82F8E-5AD4-4A11-B11D-B80B7BFE5819.jpeg D30CD6E0-8501-4D6B-8082-DDF1CAF48B88.jpeg 621ADCCD-43C0-4AC0-8969-E7C0EB6309FF.jpeg 03E3143F-2DFB-4B4C-AD61-A2440D1B5B1E.jpeg D6DBFDB5-F229-4E94-9339-742FA08C9E00.jpeg

Reactions: Dave T

Dave T

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2011
NC
Country
Region
Very nice! Never seen one. It's a variation of ATO clock for which there was many different brands.
ie: Bulle, Hatot, (from where we get ATO to describe this type of clock), Kundo, Junghans, etc. Search the forum here and you'll see other examples.
I'd like to see a picture of the back without the shroud, if it's convenient.
I would say its quite rare and fairly valuable.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jmeechie

Schatznut

NAWCC Member
Sep 26, 2020
SoCal
Country
Region
This is an interesting clock - it looks like the Kundo electronic movement, turned inside out. In the Kundo, the magnet is in the pendulum arm and the motor is fixed. This appears to have the magnet fixed and the motor as part of the pendulum. How is the regulation adjustment made?

Villagetime

New User
May 19, 2022
Country
This type of clock is not what I like, I. Have no idea how the regulation is made, but would be interested in offers.

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
My suspicion is like Dave T above said, it’s some form of variant primarily of a Bullè nature with a fixed magnet and coil on the pendulum. My suspicion is it’s of a Japanese manufacture post war. German and Japanese makes a avoided using there real company names due to post war sentiment.
Hopefully you can get the back off and post pictures.
Cheers,
James

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
Well that created more questions! Here’s what I can tell you, the design is a mish mosh of several makers:
- The coil on the pendulum is Bullè lineage
- The advance pawl on the pendulum is of Brillie lineage (also Sevral others like Vaucanson)
- The contact switch design is ATO lineage (also Brillie)
Four spoke gears and open stamped plates makes me lean towards Japanese manufacture. I am surprised at no country of manufacture stamp/indication which makes me feel of Asian descent as they were copiers. I’ll presume the pinion gears are roller and not cut teeth?
The only other wild guess is eastern block country of the 1950’s - 1960’s which is where I would place this clock.
Does it run? I will say it should run fairly well?
Cheers,
James

Reactions: sophiebear0_0

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
This really is an odd ball.

James & Dave T has done a good job pointing out similarities in design with other manufactures. I would also add that I was originally convinced that it was a Bulle type. My reasoning was:

1) Only Bulle used a moving coil with a fixed permanent magnet

2 The mahogany base looks very similar to a standard Bulle Clockette model, except that the Bulle uses a single central pillar. However later Bulle models did use 2 pillars on their chrome base clocks.

3) The elaborate engraved dome is similar to the Kosta Boda dome used on the oval-based Bulle model.

There is one clue in the name on the dial. The name Atlas Clock Co LTD. The term LTD for a limited company is common in the UK. Google tells me that the term Ltd is (or was) used in the UK, Ireland and Canada. I know Bulle clocks were made in the UK and also under the company name Tempex. However I haven't been able to find anything about Atlas Clock Co. and maybe the term Ltd is used in many other countries ?

I think Bulle stopped producing clocks in France around 1954. There were clocks of similar design then made in Brazil and in Japan, but I don't believe any of the late production history has been documented. I have seen pictures of some of the Brazil (Alto Relogois) models and they are very similar to conventional Bulles. So I don't think this model is from Brazil.

It would be great if someone out there could provide some definitive information on this clock.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited:

Jmeechie

NAWCC Member
Dec 8, 2010
Country
Region
I completely agree with you Sophiebear0_0 as far as the coil design. I do respectfully question the possibility of a Bullè manufacture as the switch is a dead ringer for ATO and Brillie to name 2 and I wouldn’t think Bullè would have used ATO design without acknowledgement to ATO and the license use.
Again, completely agree on the LTD with the exception of the Asian market, especially Japan in the 50’s through the 70’s we’re known to “Anglicize” their products to avoid post war sentiment. The Asian market also had (has) a tendency to use country of manufacture stickers which could easily be removed!
My suspicion is this is Atlas Clock Co LTD is a “trade name” by another company similar to Tempex is Bullè, Clairetta is Haller & Benzing.
I do completely agree, someone out there has another one and can possibly shed some light on this mystery!

Reactions: sophiebear0_0

sophiebear0_0

Nov 5, 2012
Sorry James - I was a bit sloppy with my response.

What I meant to say is that I was convinced it was a Bulle-type movement until I saw the picture of the actual movement !

I agree 100% that it looks very much like a ATO or Brillie type mechanical contact switch. So apologies if I caused any confusion.

I was also interested to hear your comments regarding the post-war branding methods. Nothing is quite what it seems ! I was concerned that I was reading too much into the "Ltd" marking.

Regards,

Peter

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
minister
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last page