Atkins clock movement Identification

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by Bruce Barnes, Jul 11, 2019 at 3:24 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Bruce Barnes

Bruce Barnes Registered User

Mar 20, 2004
    I have researched the data available in the search forum and I am still unsure as to whether Atkins produced his own movements or relied on sub-contractors or both.
    Since he offered instruments with common t&s,wagon spring and fusee movements,so if he made all these it must have been a very well organised manufacturing environment.
    I have two clocks by Atkins and was wondering if their were any clues or tip offs as to whether these were sub contracted or made at his facility.
    Regards,
    Bruce

2. bruce linde

bruce linde Technical Admin
    NAWCC Member

Nov 13, 2011
    oakland, ca.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    when you say 'the search forum'... does that include the 'previous bulletins' archive on the main nawcc.org site?

i remember a couple of articles there that went into a little bit of detail about the relationship between atkins and welch spring & co.

3. Steven Thornberry

Steven Thornberry User Administrator
    NAWCC Member

Jan 15, 2004
    Male
    Country Flag:
    You might want to look at the August 1983 Bulletin article, The Atkins Clock Co. - The End of an Era, pp. 476-479. It includes a bankruptcy inventory of the personal property of the Atkins Clock Co. Looking at it, the company seems to have the equipment and facilities to produce movements. Remember, however, Atkins was involved in several different companies in his career.

https://docs.nawcc.org/Bulletins/1980/articles/1983/225/225_475.pdf