Assistance with Identification of a Quarter Repeater, Moon Phase, Triple Calendar

therealwatchnut

New User
Jun 18, 2021
Country
I inherited this lovely timepiece and I am very curious if anyone can identify it. It seems to be rather well made but I have no idea the age or make of it. It was appraised by Sotheby's in 1980 between 5-7000k. Although, they made no mention of the maker. The serial number on the movement is 87XXX but there are no markings identifying the maker. I wish to sell/trade it but without knowing who made it, I don't even know where to start understanding what I have. Any information on where to look and what it is would be greatly appreciated. Back.jpeg Face.jpeg Repeater Slider Side.jpeg Front w Chain.jpg Inner Rear.jpeg Movement.jpeg Detail Fob Hallmark.jpeg Front Case Open Presentation.jpeg

Attachments

Reactions: Laser

therealwatchnut

New User
Jun 18, 2021
Country
For early LeCoultre calibres the number only indicates the basic design. They were made in varying layouts (e.g. open face, hunter) and/or different sizes.

Yours is fully jewelled.
Thanks for your reply. I have had a few people tell me it is a LeCoultre and is a Caliber 31. I also have had a couple of people say it wasn't and perhaps an Audemars (same JLC movement?). Is there any way to tell for certain? I mean, other than to pay JLC to search the archive?

eri231

Jan 13, 2012
torino italy
Country
Region
Found in Zantke's book on Audemars, some points like the intermediate wheel with four screws and the shape of the bridge are similar, perhaps the same raw maker origin?
Movement.jpeg IMG_3603.jpg
Regards enrico

Reactions: Laser and Jim Haney

therealwatchnut

New User
Jun 18, 2021
Country
That is fascinating. I guess we get used to how branded things are these days. Amazing how similar they are. Any ideas on a good place to consign/trade/sell this piece?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndyB821
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Ptolemy's Course of the Planets displayed by CLockwork by Tom McIntyre