Assistance needed in possible ID, dating and classification of this Swiss pocket watch

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by David Medford, Nov 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. David Medford

David Medford Registered User

Nov 13, 2019
    Good Afternoon! I am excited about my very first post to the board - as I am a complete novice in this arena of collecting, so please forgive my 'green'-ness. This watch started my interest in collecting watches as I was simply struck by its beauty and its complicated movement. I use the word 'complicated' to mean all the additional dials - moon phase, date, etc. Unfortunately, the watch is in a state of disrepair at the moment. The watch movement, with gentle circular motion does move for a moment before 'running out of steam'. The crown is missing on this watch. It looks to have a strike or alarm mechanism as evidenced by the small button to the side of the stem. I am just curious about the make, date and type of watch this is. I am particularly interested in learning the correct terminology when describing and viewing a pocket watch, so any help in this arena would be greatly appreciated! The interior of the case is marked "Swiss" but no other markings are noted on the case besides some hand inscribed, post-manufacture markings (perhaps to denote repair/work done on watch). The face of the watch is also not marked that I can see. One hand has fallen to the bottom of the face but is still present. The movement is marked with what I will call a "Swiss Cross" and the number "11.17C". Thanks in advance for your assistance!

IMG_5373.JPG IMG_5374.JPG IMG_5375.JPG IMG_5376.JPG IMG_5377.JPG IMG_5378.JPG

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Welcome the board.

The 'Swiss Cross' you mention has in fact a patent number below it, 11,170 (not 11.17C). This Swiss patent, entitled 'Nouvelle montre a quantieme perpetuel systeme Alfred et Camille Robert' (A New watch with perpetual calendar [of the] system of Alfred and Camille Robert).

The patent was issued to Alfred and Camille Robert in 1895. They were in the town of La Chaux- de-Fonds (Switzerland), famous for its watchmaking. The watch cannot therefore be earlier than 1895. The markings on the calendar dials are in German.

Hope this may be of help - it's a lovely looking watch and I wish you every success.

JTD

David Medford likes this.
  3. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

That small button is pressed when you want to set the hands with the winding crown, it isn't anything to do with an alarm or repeater. It looks as though there are tiny buttons in the edge of the bezel for resetting the various sub dials of the calendar.

Regards,

Graham

4. David Medford

Nov 13, 2019
    Thank you gmorse! I am learning a lot here today - I appreciate it!

5. David Medford

Nov 13, 2019
    Thank you JTD - that is awesome! Is there a place on this site or another that you use to look up serial numbers?

6. Kevin W.

Kevin W. Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 11, 2002
    I work at the Veritas Tools machine shop.
    Nepean, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David, i dont there is any web site, that i know of, you could look up serial numbers for that watch. Many companies either did not keep records or they got lost over the years.

7. PJQL

PJQL Registered User

Jun 13, 2011
    Retired police officer
    Cornwall UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

When you agitate the watch (gentle sideways twisting) I assume from what you say that the balance wheel oscillates back and forth.
    If so, does the small seconds-hand (the sub dial at 6 o'clock) move simultaneously? If so, at least the escapement would appear to functional.

The crown is missing, as you state, but is there a winding stem still present inside? It's hard to tell from your photographs. If it's still there, it may be possible to wind it (clockwise) with a pair of small long-nosed pliers. But do this VERY carefully. If it won't turn, then leave it alone.

Of course, the mainspring may already be fully wound up. One way to test this is to turn the winding gear (the large cog) manually to try and wind the mainspring. If the larger cog will not turn at all clockwise then it appears the mainspring is fully wound up and stuck. If it turns with some resistance, that's a good sign....and if the mainspring is ok then the escapement may well fire up.

If it just turns and turns constantly with no resistance, then the mainspring is likely broken.

Alternatively, if you're not confident enough to do this yourself ( and I'm not saying you have to!...) then just do nothing and enjoy the watch for it's own sake ! :)

Regards,

Piers

8. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi David,

The case of your watch looks as though it's what's known as 'gunmetal', which is actually steel that's been treated to produce the dark blue-black finish.

If you look carefully at the balance wheel, you'll see that the two cuts in the rim don't go all the way through; in a compensated balance they have to be complete cuts so that the rim can move in and out with changes in temperature. These 'halfway' cuts are just for show, even though the rim does appear to be steel on the inside and brass on the outside; I don't know why so many Swiss watches show this characteristic.

Incidentally, there's no way that this could be termed a 'chronometer'.

Regards,

Graham

9. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Gold Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Male
    80% Retired Attorney
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As JTD noted, the patent number on your watch was issued for a perpetual calendar watch. Notwithstanding this, I would be shocked if your watch had what I would call a perpetual calendar feature. Perhaps my understanding is incorrect, but I have always thought that a perpetual calendar feature was an exotic and complicated mechanism that automatically adjusted the date for the length of the month and for leap years, so that if it were kept wound and running for months or years at a time, one would never have to reset the date manually, as with a normal calendar feature, short months or leap years.

I am not demeaning normal calendar features. They are as practical as perpetual calendar features in the real world, where watches (especially in large pocket watch collections) do not run constantly for months or years at a time. In fact, they are more practical because they do not require a complicated, expensive-to-buy-and-maintain mechanism. I just would not call them perpetual calendar watches.

10. Audemars

Audemars Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Aug 6, 2010
    Male
    Retired
    Somerset, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ethan is right; the word "perpetuel" in this context admits of no ambiguity.
    So either the mechanism in the watch is perpetual, with all the leap-year complexity that Ethan describes, or the makers punched their patent number in anyway as a marketing tool.
    It would be mildly surprising if a true perpetual calendar mechanism were to be found in a relatively down-market case.
    Paul

11. gmorse

gmorse Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 7, 2011
    Male
    Retired from Xerox
    Breamore, Hampshire, UK
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Paul,

I'd be more than mildly surprised! The mechanism under the dial will most probably look similar to this, which is by any standards quite basic, even crude. Just wheels and pins, with jumpers and setting levers.

DSCF2117.JPG

Regards,

Graham