Ask Questions About the 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads VA Here

Pete Cronos

NAWCC Silver Member
Nov 25, 2002
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Country
Region
When will we know IF the 2021 National Convention will go as scheduled? It is scheduled for 6 months from today and some people need as much advance notice to make plans as possible. I know this depends on Covid results but when will a decision be made?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I have been asked to complete and post the National Convention web site. You will have the information on the event available by Monday and the event will also be in the January/February Mart Magazine. It is currently planned to take place.

I will follow up here when the site is ready.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The 2021 National Meeting will be held from July 15 to July 18 in Hampton Roads Virginia.

The convention web site is https://natcon.nawcc.org/2021/. It is still under development as we complete gathering information on the speakers and programs.

Rich Newman

Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Apr 6, 2005
Illinois
www.colonialwatches.com
Country
Region
The convention is full speed ahead and the entire team (about 30 volunteers) are meeting every few weeks to achieve a safe and fun event. Details are on the convention website that Tom already discussed. As of two weeks ago, the host hotel, which is right next door to the convention center, was over 40% sold out!

Please register right away. The team really needs to have good estimates ASAP to do all the extra planning and work that we need to do to have a safe and fun event.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
I tried to register for the Embassy hotel room ($127/night -- a great rate) but when I hit the confirm button it kept saying that it didn't work. I tried at least four times. I then phoned the hotel where I was told that there was at least a half hour wait to get to the reservation desk. I called back several hours later -- same thing: More than a half hour wait. I then tried again online. Again it failed but I saw a chat tab. So I chatted with "Ares" who completed the reservation for me -- but I needed to give her the link from the NAWCC events page. So all is well. I'm set to go. Now I can complete the event registration.

Frank

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
And, strictly speaking and to be picky, shouldn't the actual location read Hampton, VA, rather than Hampton Roads, VA? AFAIK, Hampton Roads is, i.a., a geographical area covering some of SE Virginia and some of NE North Carolina.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
Frank Is this the screen you used to try to register? You may have caught them at a busy time,but I had no problems registering on it.

There was a bit of a problem with links displaying properly that is due to my relative lack of skill in this area. But, I d.o not have any other reports of problems with the page shown
1617762982235.png

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
And, strictly speaking and to be picky, shouldn't the actual location read Hampton, VA, rather than Hampton Roads, VA? AFAIK, Hampton Roads is, i.a., a geographical area covering some of SE Virginia and some of NE North Carolina.
I just show names as they are given to me. Perhaps they mean to include a much larger service area with the name. The official web site for the convention center is https://thehrcc.com and they are careful to keep "roads" in pretty much all the references.

FDelGreco

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Diamond Member
Aug 28, 2000
Novelty, OH
Country
Region
Tom:

Yes, that's the screen. I tried several times at different times. And the phones were backlogged as I said as well.

Frank

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I believe the plan is to offer a discounted membership deal. We will not have free admission to the Mart, but all the programs and exhibits are open to the public. Craft Competition and curated displays. And, the Mart entry with a year of membership will be a bargain for first timers.

JeffG

NAWCC Member
Jul 8, 2020
St. Croix, U.S.V.I.
Country
Region
Good day!
I've just registered for the Nat'l Convention in Hampton (my home town!).
As this will be my first NAWCC Nat'l Convention experience, could you please give me a quick description of a day-in-the-life-of-a-convention-attendee?
Will there be a schedule of lectures posted before the convention?
Must one sign up for individual lectures ahead of time?
Is there an additional charge for NAWCC members for the Mart area?
See you soon.

P.S.-
Yes, the convention center is in the City of Hampton,VA. Hampton Roads is technically the name of the body of water defined by the coastlines of Hampton, Newport News, Norfolk, Portsmouth, and Chesapeake, but is often used reference to the whole area.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The ongoing information about the event will be posted on the Convention Web site https://natcon.nawcc.org/2021/ Attendance information will be under the Registration tab and Lectures will be under the Schedule tab. There will also be pictures of items in the Friday night auction posted under Auction.

NAWCC Members, their registered partner guests and children can visit the Mart room. The Saturday night Awards Banquet and the Saturday noon luncheon with speaker have additional fees. Everything else is covered by the registration except tables and electricity in the Mart room and early admission to the mart room for those who have not purchased table space.

Pete Cronos

NAWCC Silver Member
Nov 25, 2002
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Country
Region
I noticed that the Number Registered and Number of Tables Sold has disappeared from the site. Will an update be posted?
Also I would like to verify Friday Mart entry for table holders. The schedule reads 10:00am-4:00pm Mart Move-In .
Will all tables holders be allowed entry beginning at 10AM or will it be by number of tables that you have? This is not clear and I know there has been confusion about this at past Nationals and Regionals.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I have been working on the on-line registration process because I noticed I had made a mistake in configuring how attendees are accounted for.

As result I have gotten behind in updating the attendance data. Someone also raised a privacy concern about the attendee names being shown. That out off date information was removed to avoid confusion about how well registrations were going.
We do not have the convention center's design of the table locations in the room so we are not sure if there will need to be an early setup for multiple table holders. I actually had the information reading that Single Table Holders and Early Bird entries would be from 11:00, but that was changed in a recent edit. We may still let the multiples in a bit earlier and they will get an hour lead on the Early Bird shoppers.

One of the issues with sharing information is that we really should have a private forum for table holders at each event to provide coordination among them. Currently they use telephone or emails to do their planning. I wish that more of our table holders at the meetings were active here on the forums but the sparse participation seems to me to be a concern about who know what and when. i.e. the table holders are entitled to a voice but the organizers have no way to hear it. :(

Pete Cronos

NAWCC Silver Member
Nov 25, 2002
Jonesboro, Arkansas
Country
Region
I have been working on the on-line registration process because I noticed I had made a mistake in configuring how attendees are accounted for.

As result I have gotten behind in updating the attendance data. Someone also raised a privacy concern about the attendee names being shown. That out off date information was removed to avoid confusion about how well registrations were going.
We do not have the convention center's design of the table locations in the room so we are not sure if there will need to be an early setup for multiple table holders. I actually had the information reading that Single Table Holders and Early Bird entries would be from 11:00, but that was changed in a recent edit. We may still let the multiples in a bit earlier and they will get an hour lead on the Early Bird shoppers.

One of the issues with sharing information is that we really should have a private forum for table holders at each event to provide coordination among them. Currently they use telephone or emails to do their planning. I wish that more of our table holders at the meetings were active here on the forums but the sparse participation seems to me to be a concern about who know what and when. i.e. the table holders are entitled to a voice but the organizers have no way to hear it. :(
When will the schedule be set as FIRM? It is still confusing to table holders both Multiple and single. All it say is Mart Move in. It fails to say who and when.
I understand that some may not like their name listed but a headcount and table count would be nice.
THANKS FOR YOUR SUPPORT

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
I have sent this question to top management. :)

Reactions: Norman Umberger

Norman Umberger

Jun 9, 2015
How do I sign up for the convention as a new member? We are hoping to fly out from Arizona to see the convention and explore the Necks of Virginia. Thanks, Norman

Tim Orr

National Membership Chair
Director
NAWCC Fellow
NAWCC Member
Sep 27, 2008
Boulder CO
Country
Region
A message from NAWCC Director, John Cote:

Many members share my frustration with the lack of in-person meetings and marts. We all want to see our NAWCC friends and look at watches and clocks in person.

Let’s be clear: Whether or not gatherings happen depends on state and local restrictions and not decisions by NAWCC. In some cases, cancelations become necessary because of low preregistrations. It takes a lot of time and money to put on these events. They are difficult to justify if only a few people sign up.

Well, there is good news: It looks like things are finally opening up. We are going to have a great national convention, and many regional events that had been postponed are going ahead.

Many organizers report that even though preregistrations are not at historical levels, things are looking much better than earlier in the year. Organizers all say they wish more of us would commit by preregistering, and are hopeful that events in June and July will be well-attended.

Our National Convention will take place July 15–18 at the Hampton Roads Convention Center in Hampton, VA. The host hotel, the Embassy Suites, is connected to the Convention Center, and still has rooms at our special rate – but is selling out quickly.

The hotel and convention center have been very cooperative in dealing with us and have given us extra space to spread out, so we can be safe and comfortable while complying with local requirements.

If you’ve never been to this part of the country, I can assure you it is beautiful and there is a lot to see, from Colonial Williamsburg to Norfolk to Virginia Beach. The area is also known for great dining.

So, if you’re frustrated by shutdowns and ready to see your friends – and perhaps buy or sell some clocks and watches – it’s time to sign up.

You can find info for coming regional events on the NAWCC website at this link: Event List

We have also made it very easy to preregister for the National Convention at this link: https://natcon.nawcc.org/2021/

All of your friends at the NAWCC look forward to seeing you in person again. Please preregister now so our volunteers have as much time as possible to organize fun and safe gatherings for all of us.

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
How do I sign up for the convention as a new member? We are hoping to fly out from Arizona to see the convention and explore the Necks of Virginia. Thanks, Norman
If you click on the event tab at the top of the page and follow the directions, you can register online.

Clicking on this link Display event - ***2021 NATIONAL CONVENTION*** will take you to the registration form. You will probably need to log in using the username and password field. You will probably need to use your email address for the username. If you have never logged in on the main site, you may need to use the password recovery link to be able to log in.

To register yourself and your significant other, first register yourself by clicking the register button and then register your partner using the Register Someone Else button. Since this is your first event, you will need to provide your partner's first and last name.
1619886050975.png
If you have registered someone before or established any relationship with them in NAWCC activities, You will see this screen instead.
1619886579616.png
This will show you a list of the people who have a relationship with you and allow you to select one of them to register for the event. If the name you need is not in the list you can select Add a new contact and you will be shown the information form to give that persons first and last name and other information if you want to.

I will be creating a small tutorial along these lines to provide help with our event system.

You may also download the registration pdf file and fill it out with your credit card information and email it to convention@nawcc.org. In that case, a staff person will fill out the form for you and you will receive an email notice when the registration is complete.

Once you are registered, you can review your registration on your main site https://nawcc.org account screen. If you are logged in on the main site clicking on your name in the upper border will show your account screen. You may also edit your choices for the event up until July 1, 2021.

For veteran members, this process is different from the way we have been using the events system. If you need additional names added to your relationships, you may email their name and NAWCC# to convention@nawcc.org and the staff will add those contacts to your relationships. If the relationship is not a family relationship, you can just list the other member as "know".

You will only need to do that once and any that you add to an event using the "add new contact" will also be automatically included in your list for the future.

Last edited:

Michael Deshaies

Jun 13, 2010
When will we know IF the 2021 National Convention will go as scheduled? It is scheduled for 6 months from today and some people need as much advance notice to make plans as possible. I know this depends on Covid results but when will a decision be made?
Why isn't there an actual address listed for the convention?

Tom McIntyre

Technical Admin
Staff member
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Ruby Member
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2000
Boston
awco.org
Country
Region
The address was on the c0nvention web site on both the registration and visit tab. It must have wandered off during one of the edits. It is on the online registration page Display event - ***2021 NATIONAL CONVENTION***.

I can probably figure out where to put it, but it does not convey very much information beyond the name of the property. It is a huge space with two buildings in it. one is the hotel the other is the convention center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ds23pallas
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller