Art Zimmerla

Discussion in 'Member News and Views' started by rrstd, Mar 1, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rrstd

rrstd Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 18, 2001
    Country Flag:
    It is with great sadness that I report the passing of a good friend and mentor - Art Zimmerla.

For those that did not know Art, he was a long time NAWCC member and past National Director. His horological interests were primarily in American Pocket Watches, where he was best known as the leading authority on the history, products and practices of the Hamilton Watch Company.

During the Hamilton Watch Company’s final years in Lancaster, Art spent a considerable amount of time at the factory and was responsible for saving a number of important factory records and documents, which were destined for the land fill. Many of these documents, including the factory sales ledgers, now residein the NAWCC Library and Research Center. During this time, Art also worked to catalog the inventories of historical watches and prototypes stored in the engineering department vaults. He also became close friendswith a number of employees and retirees, including individuals like Ernie Dresher – who was the lead engineer responsible for development of the 992B.

I cannot begin to express the gratitude I have for the friendship and mentoring I received from Art over the past 30 years. He not only cultivated my interest in Hamilton Watches, but more importantly he drove a desire to better understand the history and preservation of the company and its products.

Rest in Peace my friend.