Art Nouveau Tall Case Clock ID?

Discussion in 'Your Newest Clock Acquisition' started by Kevin Knauss, Sep 30, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Kevin Knauss

Kevin Knauss Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2016
    1_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg I recently purchased this art nouveau inspired tall case open well clock. The case is heavily influenced by art nouveau elements from flowers, lines, fluted from base to hood. It is solid wood with only a veneer on the back of the case. However, there are no markings on either the case or the movement. I am thinking 1900 - 1910, British make. If any one has any ideas to:
    - The type of wood
    - Maker of case
    - Maker of movement
    - or any other other information to properly date and place the origin of the clock it would be greatly appreciated.

The movement is dead beat with adjustable pallets on the escapement. Except for some separation on the dial door, it is in good shape. My next step is to have the movement thoroughly cleaned and refurbished, but it looks too be in really good condition. Dial also needs to be re-silvered. Any idea of how they carved the design into the wood? I'm assuming some sort of mechanical operation.
    Thank for looking at this mystery clock.
    1_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 2_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 3_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 4_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 5_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 6_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 7_Art_Nouveau_Tall_dial.jpg 8_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 9_Art_Nouveau_clock_movement.jpg 10_Art_Nouveau_clock_movement.jpg 11_Art_Nouveau_clock_movement.jpg 12_Art_Nouveau_clock_movement.jpg 13_Art_Nouveau_clock_movement.jpg 14_Art_Nouveau_clock_movement.jpg 1_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 2_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 3_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 4_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 5_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg 6_Art_Nouveau_Tall_Case.jpg

2. new2clocks

new2clocks Registered User
    NAWCC Member Sponsor

Apr 25, 2005
    Pennsylvania
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Kevin,

Why do you think the clock is British?

It could very well be British, but the movement and the open well design leads me to German manufacture.

The wood, in some of the pictures, appears to be oak, but I am not very good at deciphering wood from pictures.

The age that you estimated could be correct. It is also possible that the vintage could be as new as the very early 1920's.

Regards.

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I agree with new2clocks, I believe this is a German clock. I cannot identify the unmarked movement but there are those here who can and I expect they will be along shortly.

As for being 'art nouveau inspired', I would leave off the word 'inspired' - to my eye it's 100% art nouveau! And I tend to agree with you, probably before 1920, but it's hard to be sure.

JTD

4. Kevin Knauss

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Thank you. I based my U.K. maker on previous clocks I have had. But I defer to those who have more experience in the field. This helps me narrow down my search for potential clock catalogs that may have advertised the clock to find the original maker, or close to it.

5. Kevin Knauss

NAWCC Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Thank you. When it comes to identifying a specific architectural style or design, I tread lightly. I'm no expert and don't purport to be. But gosh, from the base to top, I can't help believe the designer wanted to evoke art nouveau themes in the case.