Art Deco Period Westminster Chime Clock does not strike the hour

pandora123

Jul 2, 2016
Bradford on Avon, Wiltshire, UK
Country
I purchased an Art Deco Westminster Chime clock from Ebay. The seller said that he had serviced the clock himself, and it was fine when shipped. It arrived on Thursday, June 30. I set the clock up, but it only chimes and does not strike. There are two "warning" sounds - first before it chimes, and then midway through the chime there is another. I do not know if this is the strike trying to activate, or whether the strike is switching itself off mid chime. There is no manufacturer's name on the dial, and the movement has a code, and is "Foreign." So, is the movement of my other clock, which I have had for over 20 years.

Feeling pretty glum about this. Obviously, I don't want to interfere with the clock, and I am a "novice." I am just letting it run, but rewound it this morning as the chimes were erratic.

Having said that I have no interfered with it, I did reach under the clock at 11:00 and moved a lever very gently, and it chimed the 11 hours, but has not struck the hours since. I know that what I did has not harmed the clock, but this tell me that something is not being tripped correctly.

Any suggestions or ideas, please?

By the way, I spoke to a local repairman who wanted £345.00 from me......:confused::mad:

Last edited by a moderator:

scottmiami

May 14, 2014
Country
Region
It would be helpful if you could post some pictures of the clock & the movement as best you can get to it.

And welcome to the board!

R. Croswell

Apr 4, 2006
Trappe, Md.
www.greenfieldclockshop.com
Country
Region
By the way, I spoke to a local repairman who wanted £345.00 from me......:confused::mad:
£345.00 to do what?

This may sound dumb, but when it should be striking does anything move at all? Perhaps the hammer is just not hitting the gong? "Stuff" can happen during shipping but eBay sellers are responsible for seeing that the item arrives in the condition as it was described. This clock is obviously not operating as described. The seller's claim that it was working when shipped is meaningless; it must also be working when it arrives. If you have it setup correctly (some pictures would help) and it is not switched to silent, I suggest that you consider returning the clock under eBay's buyer protection plan. You should not have to pay someone to fix something that was sold as in working order.

RC

shutterbug

Staff member
NAWCC Member
Oct 19, 2005
North Carolina
Country
Region
Here are some things to listen for: On the hour, the chime gets about 3/4 through, and then you should hear the strike set up. There should be an audible thud when the rack falls (loudest at 12:00, weakest at 1:00), and there should be an accompanying whir as the train runs briefly to set up the strike. I suspect that either the rack is not falling or the train is attempting to lift the hammers when first starting, and is running out of power. If the rack falls but cannot be gathered back up as the strike runs, eventually it could stop the clock (normally between 12:00 and 1:00 sometime). If you reach in the back and move the hammers upward, does it strike?

pandora123

Jul 2, 2016
Country
Westminster Chime Clock Art Deco Movement # 421434

I have posted previously about this clock. I am a newbie, so please bear with me, if I doing this the wrong way.

The history goes like this: an ebay purchase and shipped up to me on Thursday, June 30. Have set it up and it was not striking the hour, but was chiming. Have been baby sitting it today, and finally, plucked up the courage to reach into the clock - delicately - I might add - and do a little light "fiddling" with the mechanism that produces the strike - not the chime. Have been sweating it out since then, and as I type this, the clock has just struck 8:00, for the first time. Will continue to monitor it but hopefully, in my utter frustration and probable stupidity, I may have set it to rights....! Will post again on this tomorrow.

I do have another Westminster Chime clock, and it has gone through a lot in the 20 odd years that I have owned it, and it still give great service and pleasure, and is dear old friend. So, I am not a complete dunce, but the movement is completely different.:clap::exhausted:

pandora123

Jul 2, 2016
Country
Hi: Many thanks for getting back to me. I think I may have got it to strike, but that was at 8:00 GMT, so am waiting until 9:00 to see if this was just a fluke! I am going to post what photography I have. Have done a little preliminary research on the movement, and as I suspected "Foreign"means German. No problem now, but was a little sticky around the Art Period! As I have said before, I will post again on the progress of the strike. Hopefully, my photos will come out alright on the site. I think it is a gorgeous clock, but that is just my taste! DSCF6348.JPG DSCF6352.JPG DSCF6355.JPG DSCF6344.JPG

Attachments

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
Re: Westminster Chime Clock Art Deco Movement # 421434

I have posted previously about this clock. I am a newbie, so please bear with me, if I doing this the wrong way.

The history goes like this: an ebay purchase and shipped up to me on Thursday, June 30. Have set it up and it was not striking the hour, but was chiming. Have been baby sitting it today, and finally, plucked up the courage to reach into the clock - delicately - I might add - and do a little light "fiddling" with the mechanism that produces the strike - not the chime. Have been sweating it out since then, and as I type this, the clock has just struck 8:00, for the first time. Will continue to monitor it but hopefully, in my utter frustration and probable stupidity, I may have set it to rights....! Will post again on this tomorrow.

I do have another Westminster Chime clock, and it has gone through a lot in the 20 odd years that I have owned it, and it still give great service and pleasure, and is dear old friend. So, I am not a complete dunce, but the movement is completely different.:clap::exhausted:
I have merged your second thread with the one you previously started in the Clock Repair forum. It is best to keep the discussion together, and I believe that Clock Repair is the better forum.

pandora123

Jul 2, 2016
Country
Yes, I have had it strike several times by reaching inside and doing it manually. However at 8:00 this pm, I thought it struck automatically, but when I monitored it at 9:00 it did not. Something, somewhere in the back, has shifted, and I don't want to fiddle around with it too much unless I know what to do. I do not have the expertise to take the mechanism out of the clock and fix it myself. It is such a lovely clock, I really do not want to give up on it.

JTD

Sep 27, 2005
Country
Your photos are rather out of focus it is difficult to see but next to the 3 on the dial is a small lever which can be moved up and down. This is likely the 'silent' lever but I can't see what position it is in. Have a look and see if it is in the silent or strike mode.

JTD

BigAl

Aug 24, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Country
Region
Where abouts in the UK are you?

pandora123

Jul 2, 2016
Country
That was the first thing I did, and it is on strike, not silent. I do have another Westminster Chime, so I am familiar with them, but that one has a different movement. The clock is chiming, but not striking the hour, I have got it to strike the hour manually, and I thought that it had struck the hour at 8 pm this evening, but when I monitored it at 9 pm, it had reverted to just chiming and not striking the hour. This clock has movement # 421 434. I have done a brief reccy of them, but I am no expert.

- - - Updated - - -

Close to Bradford on Avon in Wiltshire.

- - - Updated - - -

Close to Bradford on Avon, in Wiltshire

pandora123

Jul 2, 2016
Country
It is in the correct position to strike. It chimes, but does not strike the hour. I thought it had struck the hour earlier this pm, but it reverted back to just chiming and not striking. I can get it to strike manually, by reaching behind the mechanism.

BigAl

Aug 24, 2011
Pembrokeshire
Country
Region
£345 sound reasonable to me for a full strip (including springs) clean and lubricate then reassemble a three train clock. That is assuming no bushing or other repairs are needed.

pandora123

Jul 2, 2016
Country
The clock had already been stripped and serviced by the person from I purchased it. Something has happened in transit from Exeter to Wiltshire that has put something out of sync. Cannot afford to pay £345.00 to have the work redone, and then travel with it, and have the same thing happen all over again That would be madness. The clock has been running since it arrived on Thursday. Chimes, but does not strike.

pandora123

Jul 2, 2016
Country
Regarding the Westminster chime clock. I have since returned it to the seller. He had taken it back for repair and returned it to me. This time, it was not striking, ticking or chiming. I would loved to have kept it, but I paid a lot for it, and prices that I was being quoted for repair put it in a "no do" category. It was sold as "working" but it was not. Really an item for a more experienced person who know how to repair these clocks. Pity!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hullah
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller