ARISTON METAL DIALS

rschussel

NAWCC Member
Mar 1, 2002
The first time I purchased a 12 size Ariston with a metal dial I had buyers regret as I questioned whether it was authentic. Ariston enamel dials often have cracks and I wondered whether the metal dial was a replacement.

Ariston’s (Marshall Field and Co.) were produced from approximately 1905 and 1916 and were originally advertised as having an enamel dial. Later I found an Ariston ad from 1915 that mentioned that 12 size dials came in white, silver and gold but no pictures were provided. A women’s watch does appear to have a gold colored dial.

Since my first purchase I have acquired 4 additional Ariston’s (15j and 17j) with metal dials. All of them are gold in color. To date I have located 3 types with Arabic numbers and one with Roman numerals. (See photos below). The two Roman numeral dials are from two consecutively numbered grade 404s.

It also appears that the metal dials were meant to be exact copies of the enamel dial (see 3 photos below). Whether this was for fashion or a way to save money is not known .No ads are available with pricing for watches with different dials

The metal dials only appear on watches produced in 1916 and there appears to be an effort to use hands that were similar/identical to those found on the watches with enamel dials.

If anyone has a metal Ariston dial would you please email the serial number of the movement.

Ariston metal dials  1916 17j grade 404 conseceutive seial numbers.jpg Ariston metal dials 1916  2 15j Gr403 and 17j gr 505 rated.jpg ariston metal dials grade 403 metal and grade 404 enamel.jpg Ariston metal dials geade 404 enamel grade 403 metal.jpg ariston metal dials Ariston rated gr 505.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: vintageguy

vintageguy

NAWCC Member
Oct 27, 2013
Minnesota
Country
Region
Cool!

Jerry Treiman

NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Los Angeles, CA
Country
Region
Nice comparison of the enamel dials and their metal counterparts. Interesting that the metal dials all seem to be from the same year, at the end the Ariston production. Maybe it was a cost-cutting measure, or as you suggest a solution to the fragile enamel dials.

Our 2021 National Meeting in Hampton Roads Virginia
Topic related ad experiment
Know Your NAWCC Forums Rules!
RULES & GUIDELINES

Find member

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pmendoza
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions