Argos Wall Clock Have you seen one like this?

Discussion in 'General Clock Discussions' started by rjhoekstra, Dec 6, 2015.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. rjhoekstra

rjhoekstra Registered User

May 17, 2014
    Has anyone seen a clock like this before? Found this clock at an estate sale, it said Argos on the face. I can't find any info on this clock. Surrounding the face and the pendulum is made of some kind of metal maybe brass. This clock must weigh a ton because it is suspended by two chains.

IMG_0395.jpg

2. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    I have tried my best to look at the mark on your clock because I feel that I recognise the outline and shape, but not as Argos. Unfortunately your photo is not very sharp and I have not been able to see it clearly. Could you post a close up of the logo and a sharper picture of the clock itself?

JTD

3. chimeclockfan

chimeclockfan Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 21, 2006
    Chime clock & gong studies.
    WI
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Presumably it is "Urgos" and the clock was made between 1960 and 1970.

4. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    Justin, that was my thought too, the logo has the right outline, but I was afraid to stick my neck out too far and say 'Urgos' without being sure, particularly as the outline of the logo also looks rather like Jsgus (Isgus).

It certainly seems to be a modern clock. And I'd still like to see a picture of the mark, just for my own education!

JTD

5. rjhoekstra

rjhoekstra Registered User

May 17, 2014
    Unfortunately it is a picture of a picture so will not be able to get a better one. You are right I am sure about being a Urgos, I just wrote down what they had on the card with the clock and obviously needed to look closely at the logo. Why do you think it is a newer clock?

6. harold bain

harold bain Registered User
    NAWCC Member Deceased

Nov 4, 2002
    Male
    deceased
    Whitby, Ontario, Canada
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well, it is definitely not an antique (over 100 years old). Your picture is not good enough to give much advice about it.

7. Willie X

Willie X Registered User

Feb 9, 2008
    I see this type clock from time to time. Just a small GF
    dial/movement in a open well wall case. Yes, they are hard to handle at around 30 pounds, not much lighter than a small GF of the same era.
    The chains are someones idea of a good way to hang it; that's a pretty wierd way to hang something. They usually hang from a metal hanger or simply a small hole in the back board.
    These cases are usually pretty nice but the movements are getting old and usually need extensive repair or replacement.
    Willie X