Are there fake atmos clocks out there?

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Peter Fleuren, Aug 17, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Peter Fleuren

Peter Fleuren New Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi I'm still learning about these clocks. Is there such a thing as a fake Jaeger Lecoultre Atmos clock?

2. Ed O'Brien

Ed O'Brien Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Nov 30, 2009
    Retired, and now full-time clock repairs.
    Winter Park, FL
    Country Flag:
    Sort of.... One was produced that looked similar but was electric. The Atmos is quite distinctive so trying to build a copy would be quite challenging, especially to serve the limited sales potential.

Peter Fleuren likes this.
  3. Peter Fleuren

Peter Fleuren New Member

Aug 17, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanks for your answer I recently picked up an Atmos and the regulator didn't have Jaeger stamped on it but it still had a number.

Screenshot (61).png

4. Burkhard Rasch

Burkhard Rasch Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jun 1, 2007
    Male
    General-and trauma surgeon
    Twistringen
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I´ve come across several "lookalikes" both american and european,all electric,and I know of at least one JL had a legal argument with (result unknown).They take up the general silhouette of an Atmos and have some sort of "thiny" turning between its legs, but they can be easily identified as electric knock offs; a real "fake Atmos" meaning a cheapishly produced mechanic clock produced e.g. in the far-east never has crossedmy way.
    Burkhard

5. new_hampster

new_hampster Registered User

Aug 3, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    The pattern I've seen in these is this - US clocks changed brand from 'LeCoultre' to 'Jaeger-LeCoultre' some time in the early 1970's. Before then, clocks manufactured for the US market have 'LeCoultre' on the bridge. Non-US clocks were not stamped on the bridge. Since that time, it appears all are stamped. I have verified this on maybe a dozen clocks that I know were non-US, and the pattern fits. But the sample is too small to be certain.

(The exception I've seen is the 519 - none of these are stamped on the bridge, while the 529 is.)

The movement stamp has the corresponding name on it. Does your movement say 'LeCoultre' or 'Jaeger-LeCoultre'? What about the dial?

6. Raymond Rice

Raymond Rice Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Retired IBM manager, retired politician, now just
    NYS
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    If you wish to see a side by side comparison of an Atmos with a "Mastercrafters" look alike, do a search on "Mastercrafters" or "Toni".
    Ray Rice