Are the Schatz Jum 7 and 53 First Wheels the Same?

Discussion in '400-Day & Atmos' started by Rod Schaffter, Jun 30, 2020 at 9:53 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Rod Schaffter

Rod Schaffter Registered User

Mar 20, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Hi Gang,
    I have a Schatz JUM 7 with a tragically bent first wheel and arbor. The barrel teeth and the second wheel seem to have survived intact, and I have wound and unwound it several times and the spring seems fine, as does the click; I'll have to open the barrel up and have a look.

Does this model use the same first wheel as a Schatz 53? I don't have one apart at the moment to check.

Thanx in advance!
    Rod

2. Wayne A

Wayne A Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 24, 2019
    Male
    Retired, process controll systems
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Sure appears to be the same 1st wheel. Just overhauled this jum/7 and holding a 53 1st.

Depending on where the main may have broken sometimes it will wind up a good bit.

20200630_231658.jpg

3. Rod Schaffter

Rod Schaffter Registered User

Mar 20, 2020
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Thanx for that info. :)

Looking again at the ratchet wheel, the teeth are sharp and a bit irregular, so I wonder if someone let it down without a key, as the click spring seems fine. I popped the lid off the mainspring barrel and the spring is intact, although the innermost loop is looser than most others I've seen...