Are the Burleigh Clocks Collectible

MrX

Sep 4, 2004
Interested to know if they are on the same level as Campos. Just found out a few months ago they made clocks in my home town when I was a youngster. See they got an award for the Girandole clock.

Andrew

Jim DuBois

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Member
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2008
Magnolia, TX
Country
Region
Ted Burleigh made 50 or perhaps more really remarkable copies of Grafton wall clocks (copies of Simon Willards Grafton wall clock). Burleigh's were done in a great mahogany burled case, with extremely nice engraved dials, silvered. His movements were similar to a Simon Willard also, but were geared to run 8 days. When Ted was selling these back in the late 70's or early 80's his price was around $3000. I would suggest these to be extremely collectable, I would be proud to own one, but do not. The last one I saw was owned by Lenny Brand in Nashua NH, and that was 15 years ago. I don't know where his went when his estate was sold off.

Foster Campos built some really fine clocks, but the work I have seen of Burleigh's is IMO, a cut above. He also made far fewer clocks than did Campos, I don't know if that helps or hurts collectability.

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello Ralph,

The Burleigh's were a talented family; Ted did nice case work and his wife was a talented gilder and reverse glass painter.

Ted made a limited number of Girandoles and banjo clocks along with Grafton wall clock. They are collectable, but were made in much smaller numbers than Foster S. Campos. The Girandole will be expensive to acquire, unfortunately we can not discuss values on the message board.

Please email off line any questions.

Andy Dervan

MrX

Sep 4, 2004
Thanks, I have their catalog which has some photos of the banjo and the Girandole. Also includes line art of the painted tablets.

Andrew

Chuck England

Mar 25, 2009
I read with interest the comments about Burleigh clocks. I made all of Ted Burleigh's clock cases beginning in 1974 until the last run of banjo clocks in 1989. I made 50 Grafton clocks starting in 1980. The original price was $2700. The two most recently sold Graftons sold in the $8-9000 range. My clock, #4 was given to me by Ted and Fran for all the the layout work I did. They also gave Bill Kilborn a low numbered Grafton for his work on the movement.The dials were not silvered. I still have copies of the original invoices for all the cases. These include 4 different banjos, Girandole,and Graftons. After Ted died I made Girandole and other cases for Foster Campos. I now make my own clocks, and have moved from Winchester Mass. to Wolfeboro N.H. Regards, L.R. England Jr.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Really nice clock there paul and your photography is very good also.:)
I like Banjo clocks also.

David 62

Nov 28, 2004
The Grafton clocks are very nice looking and look like they were very faithful reproductions.There is going to be a Grafton clock auctioned March 29 at Fairfield Auction,LLC in Fairfield,CT.It will be interesting to see what it goes for.
David

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clockman1965
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller