Are complicated quartz watches allowed here

Discussion in 'Complicated Watches' started by Dr. Jon, Jun 14, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I have and have seen some very complicated quartz watches. I call most of them manual watches because I usually need a manual to set them up and use them.

Can we write about them here?

2. Philip Poniz

Philip Poniz Moderator
    NAWCC Member

Feb 22, 2012
    Male
    Princeton, NJ
    Why not, they are the future.

3. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I think the logical one to start with is the Shellman Grand Complication but I do not own one. Shellman is small Japanese boutique watch retailer. They specialize in boutique brands and vintage watches. When I was in Tokyo a few years ago they had just closed their shop and moved into a large Department store as a boutique.

They commissioned Citizen to make a minute repeater for them in two flavors, a push button repeater as part of a perpetual calendar and complex chronograph and a simple but similarly priced slide repeater.

Some time later Citizen offered their grand complication featuring a minute repeater perpetual calendar and hybrid chronograph. It is something like a split but operates a bit differently.

The Citizen is a light recharged watch which may avoid the usual pitfal with battery powered watches leakage destroying the electronics. Mine is in a titanium case with an Ar coated sapphire window, a first class quartz watch. It's hard to photograph so interested people can simply check ebay or it there si interest I'll try to photograph mine. It makes a lto more sense for wear to me than a gear driven calendar. The gear calendars are marvelous creations but require very special handling and settling at only certain times to avoid breakage and extensive wiats and costs for repair. IMHO they are accidents waiting to happen. Much less a problem with quartz perpetuals.

The Citizen repeater is a bit hard for me hear at my advanced age and it also sports very good hand luminance at night but the reaper will tell you the time at night, which was ithe original function of this complication.

I have long believed that only complicated quartz watches are worth owning. The Citizen Grand Complication has been a very enjoyable to me and is quite rugged. I wear it while mowing my lawn with apower mower, something I rarely do with a balance wheel watch.

4. Dr. Jon

Dr. Jon Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Dec 14, 2001
    Aerospace Engineer
    New Hampshire
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Here is the Citizen Grand Complication.
    456491-b5ac1955c5e6d47f1e3be612ef327c06.jpg
    The dial above 6 o'clock shows December as the month because the watch is in chronograph mode.

I consider this a true complicated watch because all of the indications are by hands or dials not screens.

smalldial.jpg

Bryan Eyring likes this.