Approximate Age of Clock.

Kieran McCarthy

Dec 15, 2020
Country
I would like to be able to approximately "age" this clock, which I believe to be German. Absolutely no identifying marks except for the gong which has Schwaben Gong heavily embossed onto it.
The three bottom glass panels are flat with beveled edges and a few bubbles scattered throughout, which might suggest pre-1950. The circular glass is convex, without bevelling, which I suspect may not be the original. The case is of reasonably good quality, Oak I think. No plywood or composites used anywhere. The photograph of the movement might help also. Thank you. Kieran.

Schwaben 1.jpg Schwaben 2.jpg

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
I would like to be able to approximately "age" this clock, which I believe to be German. Absolutely no identifying marks except for the gong which has Schwaben Gong heavily embossed onto it.
The three bottom glass panels are flat with beveled edges and a few bubbles scattered throughout, which might suggest pre-1950. The circular glass is convex, without bevelling, which I suspect may not be the original. The case is of reasonably good quality, Oak I think. No plywood or composites used anywhere. The photograph of the movement might help also. Thank you. Kieran.

View attachment 637713 View attachment 637714
Please provide pictures of the backplate and the gong holder.

Regards.

Ticktocktime100

Nov 11, 2012
France
www.collectorsweekly.com
Country
Hi,

With regard to the age, it is a typical German box clock made in the 1920’s, possibly 1930’s. It looks like it could be a Mauthe, Kienzle is also a possibility. The pictures requested above will certainly be a help.

Regards.

Kevin W.

NAWCC Member
Apr 11, 2002
Nepean, Ontario, Canada
Country
Region
Wondering if the dial is a replacement. Other wise i am thinking made around 1930,s too.

Kieran McCarthy

Dec 15, 2020
Country
Please provide pictures of the backplate and the gong holder.

Regards.
The gong had been badly bent so I had to take it off to straighten and can confirm that there are no markings on it. I suspect the clock had not been cleaned since new and had run without striking for several years. Wheel 1 on the striking train had a bent arbor and some of the trundle pins were bent, caused I believe by a sudden release of the striking mainspring. The spring on the click wheel was out of position because the retaining screw was a few turns lose. The "going" mainspring was really very tired whereas the "striking" spring was almost as new. I replaced both. The clock is now running very well and was a great learning experience for me. One last question..........am I correct in thinking that the circular glass is not the original? When did clock makers first start to use convex glass? If consensus suggests that the circular glass is not the original, then I will source and fit beveled flat glass. Thanks. Kieran.

new2clocks

NAWCC Member
Apr 25, 2005
Pennsylvania
Country
Region
can confirm that there are no markings on it
Besides a logo, are there any other inscriptions, such as a DRP number, etc.? What about the backplate?

If no, then I would agree with Ticktocktime's estimate of date and potential movement manufacturer. The major German manufacturers produced unmarked movements and chances are good that your movement was from one of the major producers.

am I correct in thinking that the circular glass is not the original? When did clock makers first start to use convex glass?
An excellent question that I will leave for those more knowledgeable about glass!

Regards.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HamiltonFan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Weekly News 7/7/19 by Tom McIntyre