Appealing to the Experts

Discussion in 'European & Other Pocket Watches' started by CluelessClock, Sep 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. CluelessClock

CluelessClock Registered User

Sep 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    #1 CluelessClock, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
    I've recently come into possession of two of my grandfather's old pocket watches and know nothing about them, one of which is below.

I would be extremely grateful for any information or direction as to obtain more specifics. I have tried the old internet, but have exhausted my limited capabilities & am at the end of my rope. Eventually I think I would need to get them insured so I need to know as much about them as possible as to not be taken advantage of when calling in the policy. Many thanks in advance for any and all help.

Here are the details as I've been able to gather them. I'm going to post as many detailed pictures as I can in the hopes that someone sees something important!

Has NO identification on the watch face
    Has a door covering watch face and two doors over the movement on the rear.
    First cover says (:???:): Flgtron LGH 14467
    and on the bottom near the hinge: 21142

Second door's outer engravings are (to the best of my ability to read):

B. Saval a St. Jmier (I know St. Imier is popular with watch makers, but to me, it looks like a J)
    No 21142
    Hands (hole)
    Patent Lever (hole)
    Full Jewelled

Inside this cover are the watch gears etc, but as far as I can tell, no markings with the exception of the S-----F spring adjustment...

I've read as much as I can find, I'm assuming B. Saval was an independent watch maker in St. Imier, but I don't know anything other than that...

The watch has a small winding tool that works, winds the movement and sets the hands. However the hour hand is loose and flops about a bit.

So many thanks again! Thanks for reading, thanks for any help, thanks for letting me continue this search!

2. CluelessClock

Sep 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Thank you MartyR for your help in placing this post where it belongs!

3. CluelessClock

Sep 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    Does anyone happen to have any information about this mystery watch?

Should I post more/different pictures or am I missing something important?

4. Ethan Lipsig

Ethan Lipsig Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Jan 8, 2006
    Pasadena
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    No one has provided any information about your watch because it is one of many thousands of similar watches that were anonymously produced in Switzerland, assembled of parts often made by farmers in the winter. The name on your watch is probably that of the assembler, wholesaler, or retailer. The information you provided about your watch is about as much information as likely to exists, apart from identifying the movement layout style.

5. roughbarked

roughbarked Registered User

Dec 2, 2016
    watchmaker
    Western NSW, Australia
    Country Flag:
    I am in agreement with what Ethan said.

6. CluelessClock

Sep 11, 2017
    Country Flag:
    My thanks to you both for at least providing the answer that there is no answer... Frustrating to find a dead end instead of information, but I'm appreciative to the forum and its members.

7. Les harland

Les harland Registered User

Apr 10, 2008
    Male
    Hertfordshire England
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Are there any Hallmarks on the inside of the back cover?
    You would be looking for a bird or bear (Swiss Silver) or a moon and crown (German)
    The Online Encyclopedia Silver Marks, Hallmarks & Makers Marks should list them

http://www.925-1000.com/

8. Lychnobius

Lychnobius Registered User

Aug 5, 2015
    Semi-retired designer & printer
    Redruth, Cornwall, UK
    Country Flag:
    I think we can at least suggest a date, which is probably between 1850 and 1870.

What does the dial (face) look like? It is unlikely to yield any more precise information, but we might be able to establish (for example) whether the hands are likely to be original or not.

Oliver Mundy.