Appealing to the Experts

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by CluelessClock, Sep 11, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to the new home of the NAWCC Message Board
    We are glad to see you have found us Guest. If you like what you find here, please let your friends know about us.
  1. CluelessClock

CluelessClock Registered User

Sep 11, 2017
    #1 CluelessClock, Sep 11, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 11, 2017
    I've recently come into possession of two of my grandfather's old pocket watches and know nothing about them. The American watch is described below.

I would be extremely grateful for any information or direction as to obtain more specifics. I have tried the old internet, but have exhausted my limited capabilities & am at the end of my rope. Eventually I think I would need to get them insured so I need to know as much about them as possible as to not be taken advantage of when calling in the policy. Many thanks in advance for any and all help.

Here are the details as I've been able to gather them. I'm going to post as many detailed pictures as I can in the hopes that someone sees something important!

Spartan (Base Metal, Chrome finish) casing from Illinois Watch Case Co. Serial 450788
    Encasing a Hamilton Watch Co. Lancaster, Pa 17 Jewels watch
    stamped 975. 'Adjusted' and 1506733
    It winds and ticks along beautifully...

So many thanks again! Thanks for reading, thanks for any help, thanks for letting me continue this search!

2. Dave Coatsworth

Dave Coatsworth Super Moderator
    NAWCC Member Donor

Feb 11, 2005
    Moving to the American Pocket Watch section for better coverage.

3. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    It is a 16 size, Hamilton 975, adjusted to temperature and maybe 3 positions. It was not considered railroad grade. It is a hunter case watch that has been re-cased in a base metal open face case. It was made in 1920.

4. CluelessClock

Sep 11, 2017
    Thank you very much Richiec! (And thanks to the mods for their posting/editing help)

5. John Cote

John Cote Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Just to add to what has been said, these watches were not cased at the factory. They were sold by Hamilton as movements with dial and hands only by the factory to jewelers and jobbers who would put them in standard American 16 size cased to the taste of the final customer. It is most probably that this watch would originally have been cased in a gold filled or gold hunting case (closed face case). However many of these cases wore out and the watch was recased.

6. topspin

topspin Registered User

Dec 14, 2014
    In answer to the question of how much to insure it for - For better or for worse we are not allowed to discuss values here, so let's just say the ebay "Sold Listings" checkbox is your friend. Do not be surprised if the answer it comes up with for your watch is a lot less than you had hoped for.

7. CluelessClock

Sep 11, 2017
    Again, I'm incredibly grateful for the responses and help! So much history in such a small timepiece! Thank you to John for the clarification on the casing, I did not know they were easily and often swapped out!

And thank you to topspin as well for addressing the insurance! I don't intend to sell but needed to have a good baseline and hate not knowing things!