Apogée - Caliber Movado ???

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by VICENTE RAMIREZ, Jun 28, 2020.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. VICENTE RAMIREZ

VICENTE RAMIREZ Registered User

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Good afternoon friends:

This is my second thread in the forum and I want to show a watch, which although it is a wristwatch, has the finger button to change the time.

001.JPG

002.JPG

I would say that it is a transition watch, since it does not have the remontoir with the traditional tiret to perform the change of function.

003.JPG

The mark of the dial reads APOGÉE, as well as in the engraved caliber, and locating in the records of Mikrolisk, said mark was property of Movado and was registered in 1897.

005.JPG

I located a 1907 Fabrique Movado poster showing a caliber similar to mine (bottom left).

Movado1907.jpg

Several colleagues (including Mr. Enrico), thought that it could be a Le coultre.

bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: LeCoultre 1, 14'''

The gauges depicted in LeCoultre's Mikrolisk had certain similarities, although frankly, this type of bridge architecture and layout are typical of many calibers of the time, most of them I have often seen without any mark.

Another page I consulted was one where they commented that Le Coultre often supplied mechanisms to prestigious brands such as Zenith, Patek Philippe, Girald Perregaux, etc., who mounted them on their watches.

Mouvements emblématiques - HourConquest

Finally, it was Enrico, who assured me that it must be a Fontainemelon by the bascule of the remontoir, although in ranftt only that reference came as a 19.5 lines.

View attachment 597930

The caliber of my watch is 14 lines, and it comes mounted on a silver box, which shows the Argent 0.900 stamps with the bear, and it has a different numbering from the caliber.

View attachment 597932

One of the things that caught my attention is that under each bridge, in practically all the pieces, it has the serial number coined, so all the pieces are specific to this caliber.

008.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

013.JPG

016.JPG

018.JPG

019.JPG

I performed a service for it, and put it to work without any problems, although unfortunately the sphere needs a better restoration, which I will do in the near future.

View attachment 597941

View attachment 597944

If anyone has additional caliber information that contradicts any of the above guesses they will be welcomed and appreciated.

021.JPG

022.JPG

025.JPG

027.JPG

Hope you like.

Cheers

P.S. I still find it archaic and complex to write threads on this system 007.JPG 009.JPG Movado1907.jpg 000.JPG

Tomxhar and viclip like this.
  2. Jessk09

Jessk09 Registered User

Feb 27, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Hello Vicente,I am afraid I cannot see the button can you give us a side view perhaps?

3. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
    It seems to me that it is visible in the two photos of the watch and strap. I can see a little button just below the crown.

Perhaps I am wrong, but I can see it.

JTD

4. VICENTE RAMIREZ

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    I put the requested photos
    Regards

a002.JPG

a003.JPG a001.JPG

5. JTD

JTD Registered User

Sep 27, 2005
  6. Tomxhar

Tomxhar Registered User

Sep 2, 2019
    Male
    Country Flag:
    What a great watch.
    Your posts are extremely well written and your explanations clear and concise, just what is needed!

VICENTE RAMIREZ likes this.
  7. VICENTE RAMIREZ

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:

Thanks for your reply.
    Honestly, I have a big doubt with this caliber.
    I wrote a few weeks ago to Mr. David Boettcher, who has a wonderful website with a wealth of information, and I sent him my questions to help me identify the caliber.
    (Vintage Watch Straps - Straps and Bands for Vintage Wristwatches)

David replied, after looking in Von Osterhausen's book on Movado, that there was no Movado caliber with these characteristics illustrated in the book, and that the caliber had an unusual appearance, and I had not seen one like this before.
    On the other hand, as I already said, Mr. Enrico (Enri123), some time ago told me that it could be a caliber similar to the FHF 19.5´´´, due to the configuration of the remointor scale.
    The only graphical query I have in Ranftt (bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: FHF 19.5'''), but in the data it does not indicate that 14-gauge lines were made, and the configuration of the bridges ending in a point do not correspond, not with the screwed chatons and all the same numbers, recorded under each bridge, which in my opinion indicates that the caliber was of great quality, including the Breguet spiral of the steering wheel.

fhf 19.5.JPG

fhf 19.5_b.JPG

fhf 19.5_2.JPG

fhf 19.5_2b.JPG

If someone had relevant information to definitely be able to identify the caliber, it would be of great help.

Thanks for participating.

regards

Tomxhar likes this.
  8. wicozani

wicozani Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Nice high-grade trench-era hunter movement! I have one just like it, but am at work without a picture. This movement has a flying barrel design I believe, which narrows down the options. Patek movements of this era bear some similarity, but all those I've seen have a replaceable polished steel capstone on the escape wheel. Vacheron also has some movements with several similarities, like this one >> bidfun-db Archive: Watch Movements: Vacheron Constantin 16.75'''H4.2. I agree it also has much in common with LeCoultre of the era, but so do some Jaeger caliber. I'll try to photo my example and post in follow-up to this post. The keyless works is probably going to be most informative if we can find examples. The shape of your example here is not in keeping with FHF's typical keyless works.

9. VICENTE RAMIREZ

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    Thank you for your response, and I look forward to that information in the photos.

It is difficult for me to find exactly the possible origin of the caliber, since I have also seen many calibers of similar architecture from Vacheron, Patek and others, but since there is no seal, it is almost impossible to keep track of it.
    Regards

10. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    didn't lecoutre provide the base ebauches for a zillion companies...

11. VICENTE RAMIREZ

Jun 12, 2020
    Country Flag:
    so, from your experience, do you assure that the caliber is a blank Lecoultre supplied for Movado :???:

12. wicozani

wicozani Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Apr 15, 2016
    Country Flag:
    Yes, notably early Patek. I've also seen LeCoultre ebauche jeweled to the center wheel in timepieces from Pavel Buhre, Hy Moser et Cie, Agassiz, Schwab et Fils and, as you note, many others. Still need to post my examples.