anyone seen anthing rare on ebay lately?

Discussion in 'Wrist Watches' started by Jeff Hess, Sep 27, 2007.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator
    Sponsor Gold Business Member

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Of course we do not discuss ongoing or current auctions, but it is kind of fun to discuss rare stuff that is over and done with.

Has anyone seen anything that has been acquired on ebay in the last 30 to 45 days that is truly rare? (or very scarce?)

Jeff

Remember, nothing current!

2. Grant Perry

Grant Perry Registered User

Jun 5, 2002
    Ottawa-Canada's Capital
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Well I guess the 992B Sidereal would qualify. Should we assume that because both watches were purchased from Hamilton by the same account that they both would have Canadian dials?

3. mersus99

mersus99 Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 11, 2005
    Attorney
    Maryland
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  4. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Mercy Mersus!

I guess I must be getting old.

I remember when I was doing research for the Ed Faber wrist watch book, they only added this one as an after thougth really. All of he enamel hamiltons were of interest of course, but he only one that was considered rare was the SPur. The rest of them were very very common.

I have owned scores if not hundreds of them.

I wonder what the big Hamilton boys use say the production figures of these are. And I wonder if one of you economic gugr's can figure out if the actual price ahd "gone up" since the 80's when this one sold for 400 or 500 or so routinely.

Jeff

5. Tom Diss

Tom Diss Registered User

Sep 6, 2004
    Country Flag:
    2,407 white and 1,530 yellow Coronado's were manufactured.

6. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Leave it to Mr. Diss! Thanks!

so is 4000 rare?

ebay sellers get yelled at all the time for calling things rare...

I was roundly critcized for calling a cool Illinois wrist rare as I had only seen a handful of in 30 years of collecting and buy/sell by a guy who sid they made "thousands of them"

Not to rerail the thread.. but what is rare? how do you define that most hated and misued of terms?

jeff hess watch guy

7. Tom Diss

Tom Diss Registered User

Sep 6, 2004
    Country Flag:
    When you consider the model was manufactured from 1929-1932, and given that one comes up on Ebay several times a year, I would say "somewhat" rare. I guess I consider a model rare when it is available for sale no more than once or twice a year. Just my opinion, though. Also, how many solid gold models survived when gold prices made it attractive to sell a rarity (unbeknowst to the owner) for melting.

Pertaining to the second question, I always chuckle at the listings stating RARE and there are several others listed at the same time. Or when a Hamilton Boulton is listed as being rare when it was continuously manufactured (except during WWII) from 1939-1969.

8. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

Jeff I always think of the Rolex Mickey. Don't remember when the last one was on there, but a couple a year seem to pop up. I'd like to have one myself. lol Then there's also a Rolex Milgauss that comes up on there too.

9. Tom Diss

Tom Diss Registered User

Sep 6, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Another thought occurs to me. What about watch models that aren't really rare, but had a variety of dials available? Some dials were shunned and are now very rare. For example, Hamilton's original Cushion model with the round dial had an aviation dial available, but other than on Will Roseman's website, I've never seen one. So, the Cushion model is not rare at all, but with the Aviation dial, it definitely is. Maybe Don Dahlberg can post the blueprint of this dial if it's available. :thumb:

Attached Files:

10. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

That's true Tom. There's alot of Bulova Accutron's out there, but try finding one with Mickey Mouse on the dial! And I've seen a couple of them for sale on eBay in the last month or so.

11. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I saw an 18k white gold asymmetric on ebay a while back.

i called a bud who is an "expert" in accutrons and he said it must be plated.

So I passed. now I am wondering..

anyone ever heard of an 18k white gold assymmetical Accutron?
    jeff

12. rleegabe

rleegabe Registered User

Oct 4, 2001
    Male
    Boeing
    Alderwood Manor Washington State
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I just bought this for $60.00, it run's, I will clean it up but not the dial, I think it's rare, not sure if you what you had in mind :???:?? Click on link below
    http://mysite.verizon.net/res6pxfu/

https://mb.nawcc.org/

Attached Files:

13. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    cool. i would not touch the dial.

jeff

14. Cary Hurt

Cary Hurt Registered User

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Jeff,

If "rare" means things I've only seen once or twice, if at all, in twenty years of looking for these things, then it's been a pretty fair couple of months. Among others...

A couple of unusual factory cased 1920s Omega wristwatches,

An Elgin Parisienne Madame Jenny with yellow enamel

Another Parisienne (what Erhardt id'ed as Madame Lisa) in green enamel

An Elgin "Lady and Tiger" (listed as "enamel Elgin, still went over $1300)

A Hamilton Meadowbrook (listed as old gold Hamilton)

And one more, picture to follow...

Cary

15. Cary Hurt

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    And this one, which was the only one I managed to acquire...

http://www.members.aol.com/churt44966/sig.jpg

This is something I've been looking for for a long time. I don't know how rare they are, but it was the first one I'd seen on eBay. It was listed as "signal coffs watch". Thank goodness for sellers who don't read the dials closely.

Regards,

Cary

16. danM

danM Registered User

Mar 17, 2004
    Rare ? - the Hamilton "BARBIZON" So rare that no sightings have yet been authenticated ! :?|

DM

17. Tom Diss

Tom Diss Registered User

Sep 6, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Here's one: a 1934 14K white gold filled Hamilton Lee with total production of only 284 snagged for $99. Only three nice ones have sold on Ebay in the last five years and they went for $760, $1000, & $547. The model was offered in yellow gold fill also with 3,183 produced.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320158049097&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011

Attached Files:

• lee.jpg
      File size:
      29.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

I've never seen a Seiko Astron for sale.....anywhere! BTW I love that watch Cary!:thumb:

19. danM

danM Registered User

Mar 17, 2004
    This was my very best discovery on eBay ---

Attached Files:

20. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Tom requested the blueprint for a Cushion B - O34

Don

Attached Files:

21. Don Dahlberg

Don Dahlberg Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 31, 2000
    Well that did not turn out very nice. :?| Let me resize it.

Don

Attached Files:

22. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

There's a couple I'm waiting for to end to show you guys. No current auctions sorry. Mumms the word.:cool:

23. Fred Hansen

Fred Hansen Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 18, 2002
    Country Flag:
  24. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

Fred, do the hands look proper on that? I have a quartz watch with the same type.

25. Cary Hurt

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wayne,

You're right that the hands are a more recent military style, but that's a small consideration (and easily remedied) when one is considering such a watch.

Good eye though.

Cary

26. Tom Carey

Tom Carey Registered User

Oct 7, 2007
    You know for many years those sorts of production figures would have been viewed by many as being low and would thus mean these were quite rare. With the advent of the internet and ebay. This really has changed. Now it seems if you want to pay the asking price things like this can be picked up quite easily. I have collected various things over the years and can remember items like this were common in certain circles and locations while being extremly rare in other parts of the country.

Best Regards,

Thomas Carey

27. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

One of the watch auctions just ended on eBay. And it sold for quite a bit of money for what it is. The watch belonged to Marlon Brando. It is a Timex Indiglo and it's ebay #320163482105. George Bush and Bill Clinton would be proud since both of these gentlemen preferred Timex's too.

28. xpatUSA

xpatUSA Registered User

Apr 25, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    What a pity about those wire lugs, Cary! What do you intend to do with them?

Some time back, I bought a lady's watch (octagonal elgin) in 14K white gold, with one wire lug missing. A local jeweler made and installed a replacement and did a very good job, too.

best regards,

Ted

29. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

Ted, If you're referring to the lugs being cut. I have a trench watch with the same type of lugs. What is nice is you can get a modern watch band on there by carefully bending the one side of the lug putting the band on and rebending it carefully back.

30. xpatUSA

xpatUSA Registered User

Apr 25, 2006
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Yes, I could see why they were cut, but I serious doubt that any were manufactured that way. And whoever did that to Cary's was a butcher, IMHO. A little akin to stripping the original paint off antique furniture, then repainting with polyurethane so you can set your coffee mug on it, sorta.

Hmmm, my second mention of coffee on this forum today, think I'll go get a cup.

Moving to totally OT, last night I spilled a full cup coffee right into the keyboard. Totally saturated it ;-(

best regards,

Ted

31. Cary Hurt

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Ted,

The watch came to me with a metal mesh bracelet that had solid end tabs. I found the damage when I removed it. The bracelet was a typical 1920s style, and had obviously been on the watch a long time.

I'm really not that bothered by the damaged wire lugs. It's an easy repair, and I have a good jeweler who could do it in a few minutes, but it's also a mark of the watches service. It doesn't harm the function, and it doesn't weaken the case. It's hidden when a band is in place, so I'm not too worried about it.

I just got it back from an overhaul Saturday, and it keeps excellent time. It's things like this that keep me looking at eBay. They are fewer and farther between than they used to be, but they are still there.

Regards,

Cary

32. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

Here's my second choice that I seen on eBay last week and the auction is over now. #130158059334.

33. Cary Hurt

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Wayne,

I really think that one is rare because there is only one.

At least until whoever made that one up gets around to making another.

Ingersoll did make some high quality watches back in the day, even cooperating with Hans Wilsdorf (pre-Rolex) at one point, marketing watches as Ingersoll-Rolco in England.

But this one is nothing more than a 12 (or maybe 16, it's 2 inches across) size pocketwatch with the recent addition of lugs and a fantasy redial. They didn't even alter the long neck pendant, just removed the bow.

The seller honestly discloses that it's a "transitional" watch, and that it's a converted pocketwatch. He just doesn't say when that conversion took place.

Check the seller's other items (and the completed ones) for more of these "rare" pieces. He always discloses the fact of conversion, and his buyers seem happy, but not my idea of "rare", at least in the context of collectible watches.

My two cents,

Cary

34. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

Cary I may have been off base when I put that watch on this discussion and maybe should have started a new topic. But I thought the same as you and wanted others to see this. I've also come across Patek's with serial numbers in the 1880's that are put in modern watch cases.

35. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

When was the last time anyone seen a 14k gold Timex? eBay#300157552029.

36. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    I run across 14k timex's a couple time per year.

I never thought in a million years I would find Timex's intersting.

But he 14k models and some of the automatics and even some of the funkier and more unusual aluminum cases are interesting to me.

Jeff

37. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

Jeff, Timex also has a Ben Hogan model that was up on eBay last week that's pretty rare. Whenever they come up they sell for a premium. Have you seen any of the Hamilton electric prototypes lately?

38. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    no have you??

39. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

Nope. BTW the discussion about them on here, a few years ago, rates IMHO as the #1 BEST posts ever! Jeff, have you seen any neat Arbib stuff lately? I haven't.

40. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    ii buy maybe three pieces per year on ebay and maybe another three from other sources (art auctions etc)

Jeff

tough to find these days

41. terry hall

terry hall Registered User
    NAWCC Brass Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Male
    Central North Carolina
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    As they both went to the same customer... in Canada.... i think that would be a good assumption...

:cool:

42. mondodec

mondodec Registered User

Jun 8, 2007
    Yes, strangeley a couple of 'No-Name' Constellations produced in the around 1953 and marketed in the US as Globemasters.

They were marketed as such because Norman Morris, US importer of Omegas, was blocked by Lockheed and Howard Hughes' TWA from using the name - because of the exclusive deal Hughes had with Lockheed on Constellations for his European flights. Thats all history but adds to the richness of finding a no-name Connie.

Most of these early cal 354s have been redialled with the full Constellation livery, under the mistaken belief that theyre worth more, thus making the no-names ever rarer and more valuable.

In both cases on eBay the sellers were unaware of what they had. Here's a couple of pics.

Attached Files:

43. Cary Hurt

Dec 16, 2005
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Just to revive this thread, for all their scarcity, there have been three 50th Anniversary Gruen pocketwatches listed in the past month or so.

Out of a total of 650 produced, 3 of the survivors listed on eBay within one month is pretty remarkable. I think in 10 years of watching eBay, I've only seen three others.

Cary

44. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

Cary, remember awhile back that 1897 Ingersoll WW? Well either the same one is back on eBay or like you said until the seller makes another one. lol

45. terofpa

terofpa Registered User

Dec 20, 2006
    Lavelle, Pa
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:

Attached Files:

• fi1.jpg
      File size:
      9 KB
      Views:
    • fi2.jpg
      File size:
      31.7 KB
      Views:
  46. Tom Diss

Tom Diss Registered User

Sep 6, 2004
    Country Flag:
    Bravo, Jeff. I'm glad you had the courage to list this with no reserve. I figured the serious collectors would step up and give us a better idea what the market price is for some of the truly scarce Hamilton models.

47. Wayne D.

Wayne D. Guest

I seen a couple of Hamilton Pan-Europ automatics. You don't see them very often. Maybe one every couple of months. Christmas time brings out the best.

48. Jeff Hess

Jeff Hess Moderator

Sep 3, 2000
    Male
    watches
    Florida
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
  49. DutchMstr

DutchMstr Registered User

Aug 9, 2007
    I dunno just how "rare" it is but I got a wire lug Elgin ladies watch in a Ebay lot of a dozen this morning that absolutly floored me. Its a 463 movement and the SN puts it 1399th in a production run of 34.000 or so that ran from '17 to '27. . The face is perfect and there are no dings on the engraved WGP case at all. Seriously, I got watches I been wearing for a couple months that look worse, not bad at all for a hundred years old.

This thing is absolutly beautiful and has been ticking right along with the computer clock all day. I have only been working on / collecting watches since August and this is the first watch I have owned that I am really proud of. My favorite thing about it is I figure I got slightly more than a buck in the pretty little thing.

I cant post a pic cause I threw my cellphone at the dog but heres the link to the auction. Its the one bracketed by the two wild pendant watches.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140183894297&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNA:US:1123

How did I do? Is this a great country or what?