Anyone seen a Henry C. Smith like this?

Discussion in 'Wood Movement Clocks' started by Tom Vaughn, Jan 19, 2019.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. Tom Vaughn

Tom Vaughn Registered User

Feb 10, 2018
    Male
    Country Flag:
    I picked this up at the mart today for free... I don't think this clock has seen much attention or respect in the last 100 or more years, but it seems quite impressive to me. Iv'e got a few Henry C Smith clocks around and most of them are somewhat sloppy jobs thrown together probably just to get the sales in the door, but this clock isn't that... or wasn't that. Try and look past the missing door, veneer, damage, etc, and there was a nice clock hiding in there somewhere. The bottom board of the clock is walnut, the sides are solid mahogany, the columns are solid mahogany as well, and the rest of the case is cherry with mahogany veneer over that (not pine like others). This seems to be one of (was one of) Smith's higher quality pieces. He clearly spent a lot of time on it. Remember that Smith had no source of water power, and had to have been using only foot or assistant powered machines. I'm looking forward to getting this clock fixed up.
    Has anyone seen a higher quality clock like this by Smith?

unnamed (4).jpg unnamed (19).jpg