• Upcoming updates
    Over the next couple of weeks we will be performing software updates on the forum. These will be completed in small steps as we upgrade individual software addons. You might occasionally see a maintenance message that will last a few minutes at most.

If we anticipate an update will take more than a few minutes, we'll put up a notice with estimated time.

Thank you!

Anyone recognize this clock?

anamclocks

NAWCC Member
Nov 20, 2012
Lexington, KY
Country
Region
I picked this up at an auction a while back. It has a 30-hour, weight-driven brass movement that is unsigned; there is no label on the case, although it appears that there was one inside at one time. It is a very nice walnut case, 29.75 inches tall, with burl walnut side pieces and a carved decoration above the door. The door opens from the right (hinges on left). Note the two brass screws at the top on either side that appear to have always been there. The upper glass is new, the lower glass old, with a lithograph stencil on the glass. It appears that the glass has never been out of the door. There is an old metal dial that has been with this clock a long time, judging from the paint loss around the screw holes at the bottom, but of course it should not be screwed in. It also does not fit the door glass (top of dial is covered by door frame, lower edge of dial does not extend beyond the door midbar.

I'm guessing a homemade clock from the mid-1800's, but the presence of a label imprint is inconsistent with that, unless the backboard is "recycled".

Anybody seen this before?

Thanks

Attachments

Last edited:

Andy Dervan

Gibbs Literary Award
NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Member
Oct 23, 2002
Country
Region
Hello,

It is very difficult to identify clocks with unsigned movements and missing labels. It difficult to really assess the clock as the images are sideways.

30 hr. weight driven brass movements did not become popular to early 1840s, so I would date clock 1840 - 1850. Case is more elaborate with burl flat pillars along the sides and carving over the door than typical period cases.

Andy Dervan

rmarkowitz1_cee4a1

NAWCC Member
Nov 26, 2009
Country
I picked this up at an auction a while back. It has a 30-hour, weight-driven brass movement that is unsigned; there is no label on the case, although it appears that there was one inside at one time. It is a very nice walnut case, 29.75 inches tall, with burl walnut side pieces and a carved decoration above the door. The door opens from the right (hinges on left). Note the two brass screws at the top on either side that appear to have always been there. The upper glass is new, the lower glass old, with a lithograph stencil on the glass. It appears that the glass has never been out of the door. There is an old metal dial that has been with this clock a long time, judging from the paint loss around the screw holes at the bottom, but of course it should not be screwed in. It also does not fit the door glass (top of dial is covered by door frame, lower edge of dial does not extend beyond the door midbar.

I'm guessing a homemade clock from the mid-1800's, but the presence of a label imprint is inconsistent with that, unless the backboard is "recycled".

Anybody seen this before?

Thanks
Actually, I've seen things like it a number of times before.

My belief it is a "one off" and quite well done. I have seen them both signed and unsigned.

The back portion is "repurposed" hence the label, along with the works, seat board and movement rails. This is also quite consistent with other examples I have encountered.

The glass is a monochromatic decalcomania or transfer depicting the Croton Fountain which was in lower Manhattan. It was a popular image used on the tablets of many 19th century clocks. It too was probably recycled from an earlier clock, like an ogee.

Here's some info about the fountain:

https://ephemeralnewyork.wordpress.com/2014/10/13/a-dazzling-city-hall-fountain-sprays-croton-water/

The glass and other parts may be mid-19th century. However, the front is in my opinion solidly 1870's to 1880's, possibly later.

A handsome object.

Please, if you list this on eBay and use this info, please credit its source unlike the last person.

Thanks.

RM

Steven Thornberry

User Administrator
Staff member
NAWCC Member
Jan 15, 2004
Here and there
Country
I can't speak to the clock case, but the movement looks very like the one shown on page 13, fig. 26 of Snowden Taylor's NAWCC Bulletin article, "Eight-Day Brass Weight Movement of the Noble Jerome Patent Era." The movement shown is said to be by Ansonia Brass Co., and, of course, would be an 8-day movement, rather than a 30-hour movement.

Ansonia Brass Co. was in business 1854 to 1869.

anamclocks

NAWCC Member
Nov 20, 2012
Lexington, KY
Country
Region
You know, I haven't actually tested it yet - the weights are 30-hr wts, but I'll set it up and see if it runs, and for how long.

lpbp

NAWCC Star Fellow
NAWCC Life Member
NAWCC Member
Aug 25, 2000
Country
Region
It looks like a Birge product, the dial and definitely the 8 day strap movement.

anamclocks

NAWCC Member
Nov 20, 2012
Lexington, KY
Country
Region
Steve,

Thanks very much for that info on the movement. You are right, it is an 8-day movement. I hung the 30-hr weights that came with it and it did not run for long. When I put 8-day weights on it ran overnight, and they didn't move much.

I am inclined to agree with RM's assessment of the clock being a "one-off". Thanks to all who commented,

Todd Porter

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ACBurke
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
Swiss Fake by Kent