Anyone recognize the maker of this small American clock?

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
Greetings, everyone.

I'm wondering if anyone recognizes the maker of this clock.

The movement has an "E" enclosed within a "C" (or a semi-circle). On the dial, just to the left of the "Made in U.S.A.," there are two initials which are either "J. E." or "J. F." (It's hard to see the tail of the "J" in the pictures but I just looked at it with a magnifying glass and it's a "J." The bottom of the "E" or "F" is too far beneath the metal rim to make out) (When I had the clock apart I hadn't noticed the initials yet).

Also, any idea as to the approximate date of the clock's manufacture?

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sincerely,
John

Attachments

lofty

Aug 22, 2005
Country
Region
John, I have an eight day Sessions beehive type clock which is stamped Sessions on the front plate and has the E in a C stamped on the back plate just like yours is. I don't know if the E in a C mark is a mark used only by Sessions or whether it means something else.

Lofty

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
John, I have an eight day Sessions beehive type clock which is stamped Sessions on the front plate and has the E in a C stamped on the back plate just like yours is. I don't know if the E in a C mark is a mark used only by Sessions or whether it means something else.

Lofty
Very interesting, Lofty.
Hopefully someone else will know about this mark and can share some info with us.
Thanks,
John

GaryJH

Nov 14, 2009
Brisbane, Australia
Country
I am quite certain that your clock is a Sessions Tambour Miniature Clock. It is from the "Small"series from 1919-1923. You can see similar clocks in TDL "Sessions Clock"pages 214-215 and 286-287. I personally have a Sessions Tambour Miniature Clock called the 'Druid'. (TDL-SC-p.216 no. 522) though your clock movement is in better condition as i have a damaged barrel and 2 missing screw pins that hold the movement to the back case lid. Concerning the E in a C mark, I can't find this mark in my Sessions notebook but if I do find out I will let you know. Cheers

Spaceman Spiff

Jun 19, 2006
St. Petersburg, Florida
www.myspace.com
Country
Region
I am quite certain that your clock is a Sessions Tambour Miniature Clock. It is from the "Small"series from 1919-1923. You can see similar clocks in TDL "Sessions Clock"pages 214-215 and 286-287. I personally have a Sessions Tambour Miniature Clock called the 'Druid'. (TDL-SC-p.216 no. 522) though your clock movement is in better condition as i have a damaged barrel and 2 missing screw pins that hold the movement to the back case lid. Concerning the E in a C mark, I can't find this mark in my Sessions notebook but if I do find out I will let you know. Cheers
https://mb.nawcc.org/showthread.php?t=64221&highlight=Marriage

Here is a thread I started a while back, with what turned out to be a Sessions clock with the same E inside C stamping on the movement.

Don't know if this helps, but it is another indicator that Sessions used this marking. Makes one wonder if they were "outsourcing" their movements?
Thanks for your comments, Gary.

And Dave, thanks so much for pointing toward that thread! I remember that thread--in fact, I made some posts in it, but on a tangent discussing the fact that there were other companies besides Welch/Sessions that had open-springs turning in the same direction. I obviously missed the whole "E inside the C" aspect of the discussion altogether.

After re-reading the thread just now, I'm even more excited about the post Curtis Jackson made, pointing toward another post in yet another thread (another thread in which I'd commented, but once again on an off-tangent aspect), mentioning how he had a Sessions tambour clock matching yours, also with the "E inside the C" logo, but his additionally still had the label on the inside of the back door, further cementing the identification as Sessions. (He hadn't pointed out the logo in his original post, but indeed mentioned it when making the follow-up post in your thread).

It seems certain now that this logo was somehow affiliated with Sessions--hopefully one day we will figure out if it was some subsidiary or a movement-supplier's logo or whatever.

Thanks again for the comments! :D

Dave B

Banned
Jun 7, 2008
Westminster. MD
Country
It seems certain now that this logo was somehow affiliated with Sessions--hopefully one day we will figure out if it was some subsidiary or a movement-supplier's logo or whatever.
"Curiouser and curiouser, thought Alice." - Lewis Carroll

Wouldn't it be an interesting turn of events if that E inside C logo turned out to be Elgin? :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UltraTitan
Encyclopedia Pages
Total wiki contributions
Last edit
E. Howard & Co. by Clint Geller