Chronometry: Anyone know when Mercer's switched detents?

Discussion in 'Chronometers' started by DeweyC, Mar 23, 2016.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. DeweyC

DeweyC Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 5, 2007
    Watchmaker
    Baltimore
    Country Flag:
    I remember being told Mercers went to the milled detent in the 1930s (Jim Connors maybe?). Look as I might through various Mercer books, I cannot find a changeover date or serial number.

Does anyone have this info? Driving me nuts (OCD)

2. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Dewey,

I remembered you asking this question and today was looking for something else and I think I stumbled on to the answer? Pictured on page 295 in Tony Mercer's book "Chronometer Makers of the World" is pictured (drawn) A Mercer detent marked pre 1937. My book is marked "revised edition" so if you are not referencing that copy you may not find it on that page or perhaps not in the earlier issue? There is no other reference as to serial number of exact date. As no one has come up with the answer I thought I 'd post what I found. Didn't want to copy the book picture and post as I don't want to violate any copy right rules. Is this what you were looking for?

3. Allan C. Purcell

Allan C. Purcell Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi OCD,
    For education puroses, you can I believe use some photographs, and I take it you must give credit. so the photograph below is from
    Tony Mercers "Chronometers of the World" revised edition.
    Regards,

allan.
    IMG_4297.JPG

4. burt

burt Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Sep 5, 2008
    Male
    police officer (ret.)
    McKees Rocks,Pa.
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    #4 burt, Dec 16, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2017
    Allan,

As didn't say anything about it in "my" post how did you guess about the O.C.D.? :) Oh by the way shouldn't look like this? :) On a serious note I can't imagine why Tony Mercer would include that picture and then draw a clear line of demarcation (1937) if it were not for a major change in the detent of their chronometers.I hope that is what Dewey was looking for?

IMG_20171216_0001.jpg

5. Jerry Freedman

Jerry Freedman Registered User
    NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Member Sponsor

Sep 16, 2000
    Male
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    See page 220 in the book Mercer Chronometers and look at 1937.

Jerry Freedman

6. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Although a bit off topic, the principle of fair use of an extract does not generally apply to images that are considered a "complete work" in their own right. However, with the digital age, the concept of a reduced quality reference image used to refer to the original image is treated the same as "fair use." I think the copies shown above would be a qualified use.

The images in the NAWCC Museum catalog of artifacts are all of sufficiently low resolution that they may be freely used. If one wants a high resolution image of an artifact, it can be licensed for commercial work or for non profit educational use with an appropriate contract. I believe the British Museum has the same or very similar policy.

7. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Thanks Jerry-how did you manage to remember that.

Merry Christmas.

Allan.

8. tick talk

tick talk Registered User

Sep 16, 2008
    Country Flag:
    If I may ask for more clarification; is there a time limit on the copyright of original images? I've heard 100 years from some sources, and 60 years after the death of the author from other sources. Perhaps the latter only applies to written material...

9. Tom McIntyre

Tom McIntyre Technical Admin
    Staff Member NAWCC Star Fellow NAWCC Ruby Member Sponsor

Aug 24, 2000
    Male
    retired SW dev
    Boston
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    In the most common case copyright is 70 years after the death of the author. If the work was not produced by an author, it is 95 years or 120 years after publication or production respectively. Here is the short PDF from the U.S. Copyright Office. Wikipedia has several good articles on the subject that cover the international rules.
    circ15a.pdf

Attached Files:

10. Allan C. Purcell

NAWCC Member

Feb 9, 2013
    Male
    retired
    Germany
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Hi Tom- I was reading Mercer Chronometers again last night, and came across Jerry Freedman´s 1937 remark on page 220. I then read on.
    on the same page is 1939, the year of course we went to war, and all chronometers had to sold to the government. It goes on to say the Horological Journal
    regarding Thomas Mercer Ltd. "For a technician, Mercers is an Alladin´s cave. Its wonders never cease but grow with acquaintance". . Your could say that
    about this board, what say you?