Anyone heard of pocket watch maker Robert Applegate & Co. Windsor, MA

Discussion in 'American Pocket Watches' started by sanbil1, Apr 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  1. sanbil1

sanbil1 Registered User

May 13, 2014
    Hello,
    I am new here, and see a lot of knowledge on the boards, am learning a lot about pocket watches, but still quite a newbie...I recently acquired one from a man who walked into my store and wanted to sell one to me...it has the name Robert Applegate & Co. Windsor, MA on the dial face, which appears to be porcelain, it is in a sterling case, and is key wound, it runs perfectly...and is in very good condition other than a few dings on the outside of the case bottom...I researched the internet but can't find anything on this maker, so wondering if anyone here has ever heard of him? I would appreciate any info if any has any on Robert Applegate Co...thanks in advance, Bill

2. richiec

richiec Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Male
    automotive warranty inspector
    Brick, Ocean, NJ
    Country Flag:
    Region Flag:
    Robert Applegate was likely a jeweler or retailer. Some pictures of the movement and markings on the case will help us identify who made it and when.

3. sanbil1

sanbil1 Registered User

May 13, 2014
    Thank you , I tried to load pictures, but was unable too, the "Select File" button doesn't appear in the box when I click on the camera image to upload...its just a blank box...on the works it says the same name Robert Applegate & Co, Windsor MA, and on the back of the inside cover it says American Time Keeper N6180...has all the jewels, and a serial number on the case...I will keep trying to figure out the image trouble and why I am not seeing the select button..

4. John Cote

John Cote Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    The "Gold Book" aka "American Pocket Watches...Beginning to End..." by Ehrhardt and Meggers lists an 18 size Swiss watch with 7 jewels as having been made as a private label for this jeweler. It is quite possible he had other private label watches made for him but this is the only one I have seen.

5. sanbil1

sanbil1 Registered User

May 13, 2014
    Thank you John & Richiec for the information...did the book happen to mention around what time or era he was a jeweler? Am trying to determine the age of it..still can't figure out why I can't post a picture, maybe because I am newly joined? not sure..thanks again I appreciate any info!

6. sanbil1

sanbil1 Registered User

May 13, 2014
    ok finally was able to upload some pics of the Applegate pocket watch!

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

7. John Cote

John Cote Registered User
    NAWCC Member

Aug 26, 2000
    Photographer
    Midwest USA
    Country Flag:
    This is exactly the type of watch described in "The Gold Book." It is a 7 (or so) jewel Swiss watch maed for Applegate. I would put the date of the watch at somewhere between 1860-1880 but others might have a better guess. I doubt a watch like this would have been made much later than that. It appears to be in original condition.